He was the son of Samuel Fryar BA and Letitia Elizabeth Fryar. In 1901 the family were living in house 86, Scarva Street, Banbridge. By 1911 the property was known as house 65, Scarva Street, Banbridge.
On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, Clarke signed the Ulster Covenant at Banbridge Orange Hall giving his address as Primrose Villa, Banbridge.
The Belfast News Letter of 30th October 1916 reports:
The Northern Banking Company 1924 Centenary Volume describes him as a Petty Officer.
In 1919, he married a Miss Taylor who also worked in Royal Avenue branch. They had 3 children, one surviving and living in Switzerland and well into his 80's.
The Campbell College Register of Lennon Wylie records Fryar, John Leonard Hamilton (C), b. 17th February, 1934, son of W. L. Fryar, Northern Bank House, Omagh. U.VI, July, 1951. Scholar. Modern Languages Sizar, T.C.D., 1951. Address: Northern Bank House, Omagh, Co. Tyrone.
Acknowledgements to lennonwylie.
On 26th March 1922, Seapatrick Parish Church honoured the dead of the Great War with the dedication of a stained glass window. Around 200 ex-servicemen paraded with Lieutenant W L Fryar amongst other officers.