Search This Blog

Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Maguire, Frank Patrick


2nd Lieutenant Francis (Frank) Patrick Maguire
was born around 1895.  His parents were Michael Maguire, Solicitor and Marian Maguire.

In 1901 the family lived in house 3, Castle, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal.  The property is described as house 10, Castle Street in the 1911 census.

Frank joined the Belfast Banking Company and served in Castleblayney branch.  

A member of his family was the Very Rev Canon E Maguire of Tamney, Letterkenny. 

The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' booklet records Maguire as working in Londonderry branch.



Maguire volunteered and enlisted into the army.  His Service Number was 5317.  He rose through the ranks to Sergeant before he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant.
He was serving with the 5th Bn. Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) as a 2nd Lieutenant when he was killed in action on 27th April 1918.   Maguire is buried in the Cinq Rues British Cemetery, Hazebrouck, Nord, France.



Maguire is also remembered in St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast on a Belfast Banking Company Memorial window and plaque.

He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Clarke, David Victor

Major David Victor Clarke TD, KStJ


[At home with David Victor Clarke
and



[Major D V Clarke TD, KStJ at an event at Belfats Cenotaph - 02/11/2015
- photo Mark Brown]


was born on 27th February 1924 at Milltown, Donacloney, Lurgan.  He was of Presbyterian faith. 
Following his education at Cookstown High School and Omagh Academy, Clarke joined the Omagh Home Guard in June 1940 (whilst underage and still at school).  In September 1940 with the creation of an Air Training Flight at his school he joined and became their first Flight Sergeant. 
On 2nd May 1942 Clarke joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  His address was ‘Stathroy’, Omagh.  A transfer to Broadway, Ballymena followed in 1943.  



Northern Banking Company, Ballymena

On 3rd November 1943 he volunteered for aircrew duties in the Royal Air Force. 
Clarke resigned from the bank on 18th December 1943 when he was ‘Called up’ – RAF. 
Aircrew Reception Centre, St John’s Wood London, with the Doodle Bugs and V2 rockets gave him his baptism of enemy fire, but after a few weeks he was posted to No. 2 Initial Training Wing at St John’s College, Cambridge for a three month course.  Flying aptitude tests followed at RAF Sywell in Cambridgeshire, flying Tiger Moth bi-plane aircraft, and passing for training as a fighter pilot.  Service on several airfields followed, mainly loading bombers with their varied loads for attacks on Germany, and in February 1945 he was posted to Southern Rhodesia for training, via the circuitous route of Atlantic/Mediterranean/Suez Canal/Red Sea and Indian Ocean, landing at Mombasa, Kenya for a short stay then by small coaster to Durban and finally by train to Gwelo, Southern Rhodesia.  Training began on Fairchild Cornell aircraft, graduating to the Harvard from which Cadets graduated (hopefully) with their coveted wings, but with the war ending in August 1945 he did not gain these.  Clarke was awarded the Defence Medal and War Medal. 
Repatriated through Cape Town and discharged on 10th May 1946 he rejoined Northern Bank at Head Office on 1st May 1946.  Transfers followed to Shankill Road (1946), Downpatrick (1948), Head Office (1949), Holywood (1951), Donegall Square (1956), Holywood (1958), Head Office (1960), Holywood (1961), Head Office (1964), Ballynafeigh (1967) and Bangor (1983).  Clarke also records a period of time in Training School and on the Inspection staff. 



Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

On 11th March 1948 Clarke wrote to the Bank and requested permission to join the Territorial Army (TA).  This was given and on 23rd March 1948 he joined the TA as a Gunner in 429 (Antrim) Coast Regiment RA (TA).  He was commissioned on 1 April 1949 with Service Number 402421, promoted Captain in 1952 and Major, as Battery Commander in 1955.  The Regiment converted to Royal Engineers in 1956, becoming 146 Corps Engineer Regiment (Antrim Artillery) RE (TA), and he retired in 1962 as Second in Command and was awarded the Territorial Decoration. 
On retirement from the Bank in 1983, he volunteered for service with the St. John Ambulance Association – Northern Ireland, as Director of First Aid Training for business and the general public.  This was part of St John Ambulance – Northern Ireland, a Foundation of the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.  He was invested as an Officer Brother in 1985, created a Commander Brother in 1990, promoted to Commander of St John Ambulance in 1992 and retiring on age in 1996.  He remained on the Chapter (governing body) of The Commandery of Ards (responsible for Order affairs within Northern Ireland) and, in 1997, he was honoured with a further promotion within the Order to become a Knight of Grace, as position still held at time of writing (2011). 
His retirement on 23rd September 1983 is recorded in the Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Winter 1983). 
He is still alive in 2014 aged 91. 
An article and photograph about Clarke appeared in the Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Summer 1981).

Somers, William John Reeves


Corporal William John Reeves Somers
was born in Chichester, Sussex on 7th August 1884.

He was the son of the late Mr and Mrs Somers, of Glenfarg Road, Catford, London, husband of Kate Annie Somers, of 4 Bridge Place, St. James' Road, Croydon. 

Somers appears to have served in the Royal Navy (Pembroke) between 10th October 1900 and 17th September 1901.  He is recorded as having 'a scar of a cut on his left thumb'.

The 1901 English census records Somers as being in the Royal Naval Chatham Dockyard, Kent, England.
Later on, he joined the Belfast Banking Company and worked in Western branch (Shankill Road, Belfast). 

Somers enlisted with a Service Number of 6660.  The National Archives also record a Service Number of 358816.  
He was serving with 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment as a Corporal when he was killed in action on 9th May 1915 in Richebourg L'avoue aged 31.  Somers is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, Pas De Calais, France.  There is also a grave in Ilford Cemetery, Essex, England. 

Somers was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.


McCunn, Thomas


Driver Thomas J McCunn Junior
was born in 1900.  He was the son of Thomas McCunn and Annie McCunn.  Thomas is a farmer.

In 1900 the family were living in house 3, Tamlaught, Fruithill, Londonderry.  Thomas Jnr had two elder brothers, John and Samuel and an elder sister, Annie Mary.

In 1911 the family are have expanded and moved to house no 7, Myroe Level, Myroe, Co. Londonderry.  There are now the parents, a grandfather and seven children living in the house.  The additional children are Margaret Jane, Robert James and Joseph.  The grandfather is Adam McCunn.

Thomas joined Northern Bank in 1915 at Head Office.

McCunn volunteered and enlisted into the Army Service Corps (ASC) – Mechanical Transport.  Later he was attached to the 59th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.  His Service Number was M/345384.

McCunn died (of pneumonia) on active service on 21st April 1918 and is buried in Wimereux Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.

He was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.
 


Patterson, William

William Patterson

was born around 1869.

William would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1890 / 1895. 

In 1901, a Solicitor (aged 32 and single) named William Patterson was living in house 12, Lennox Place, Holywood.  He was of Non-Subscribing Presbyterian faith.  William was living with Elizabeth Patterson (71), presumably his mother and two women, a niece of Elizabeth, Alicia Latimer and a sister of Elizabeth, Mary Latimer.

In 1910, this website records a William Patterson, solicitor living in Stewart's Place, Holywood.

In 1911, a Solicitor (aged 42 and single) named William Patterson was living in house 31, High Street, Holywood.  He was of Unitarian faith.  William was living with Elizabeth Patterson (82), presumably his mother.

The Holywood, Lennox and Solicitor connections tie in with other information held by the writer.

Patterson volunteered and enlisted into the army.

He was reported missing (date unknown).

The website In Flanders Field report the following instances of the name William Patterson with their 'deceased' date in the first column:

01/07/1916 LISBURN, CO. ANTRIM 11TH ROYAL IRISH RIFLES
01/07/1916 HILLSBOROUGH, CO. DOWN 9TH ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS
09/08/1916 BALLYMACARRETT, CO. DOWN ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSILIERS, 1ST BATT
08/09/1916 ELPHINSTONE, MIDLOTHIAN ROYAL MUNSTER FUSILIERS, 1ST BATT.
07/06/1917 DROMORE, CO. DOWN 10TH ROYAL IRISH RIFLES
21/03/1918 BALLYMACARRETT, BELFAST ROYAL IRISH RIFLES, 1ST BATT.

Unfortunately there is still not enough information to identify the correct soldier.

Seymour, William Matthew


2nd Lieutenant William Matthew Seymour
was born on 4th October 1896.

Known as William, he was the son of William Seymour and Lydin Seymour (nee Brooks) of 56 Glen Road, Andersonstown, Belfast.  The family were of Church of Ireland faith.

In 1911 the family are living in house 15, Stranmillis Park, Belfast.

Following his education at RBAI (Inst), Belfast, in March 1913, Seymour joined Northern Bank at Head Office.   Transfers to Donegall Square (1913) and Head Office (1914) followed. 


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square


Whilst working for the bank, he was also a member of the Queen's University Officer Training Corps from 1st November 1915 to 21st January 1916.

Second-Lieutenant William Matthew Seymour, 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, received his commission in the 10th (reserve) battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Aged 20, he was Killed in Action on 16th August 1917 on the opening day of the battle of 'Langemarck' 16th August, 1917.

Private Brady of the battalion reported:

"He was in command of VIII platoon.   He was a young man and I knew him well; he was fair and very nice and well liked by everyone.   I saw him during the attack; we were well over the ridge to the left of St Julien.   I was only 10 yards off him when I saw him killed outright by a piece of shrapnel.   I was wounded very shortly afterwards.   I have heard since that we took our objective that morning but got driven back again, so perhaps the Germans would get his body."

Seymour was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal and he is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Flanders, Belgium.




The Northern Whig of 10th August 1918 reported:

Ulster Division Officer Missing

Second-Lieutenant W.M. Seymour 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, reported missing at Ypres on the 16th August, 1917.  He was an old boy of the Royal Academical Institution, and left the Northern Bank (Donegall Square West Branch) to join up.  His relatives had no definite news, but two or three vague contradictory messages through the British Red Cross Society and other sources.  They regard it as possible that he was picked up wounded by the Germans as reported from one source, and that some returned prisoner might be able to give information.  Any news would be most gratefully received by his brother, Mr. J. Seymour, Preparatory School. R.A.I., Inchmarlo, Marlborough Park, Belfast.

[Newspaper text courtesy of John McCormick]


The Belfast News Letter of 6th January 1919 reported:




Roberts, Hugh Stanley


Lance Corporal Hugh Stanley Roberts
was born in Enniskillen on 18th September 1895.  

He was the son of Samuel Roberts and Margaret Jane Roberts.  In 1911 the family are living in house 7, Rigg, Ely, Co. Fermanagh.  They were of Methodist faith.
On 11th April 1913, Roberts joined Northern Bank at Head Office.   Transfers followed to Fintona (1913) and Head Office (1914). 

On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, Roberts signed the Ulster Covenant at Enniskillen. 
In September 1914, he volunteered and enlisted into the 9th Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as a Private with Service Number 13613.  This was to be for the ‘duration of war’. 
Prior to being killed in action, aged 20, on 1st July 1916 he was promoted to Lance Corporal (Corporal 2nd). 
Roberts was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. 

Mathews, William Frederick Alexander


Private William Frederick Alexander Mathews
was born in Dublin on 16th November 1893.  The family were of Church of Ireland faith.

He was the son of Marcus Beresford Mathews and Mrs Annie Mathews.  In 1901 the family are living in house 31.1 Henry Street, North City, Dublin. Marcus Beresford Mathews is described as a Bank Manager.

On 6th August 1910, Mathews joined Northern Bank at Ball’s branch.  By 1911, the family are recorded as living in house 115 Grafton Street, South City, Dublin. (Northern Bank House).   A transfer to Head Office followed in 1914.

On 15th April 1914, Mathews volunteered and enlisted into the 7th Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers as a Private (M.G.S.) with Service Number 14199.

Mathews fought in battles at Suvla Bay Landing and Chocolate Hill before he was Killed in Action on 13th September 1915 aged 21.

Mathews was awarded the 1914/15 Star, the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey and in the family church, St Werburgh, Dublin.  Many thanks to the facebook group Royal Dublin Fusiliers for posting this family memorial from the church.



Mathews was commemorated in a Gallipoli Centenary event [video] at the Northern Banking Company exhibit, Ulster Folk Museum, Cultra in April 2015.







Kennedy, William


Private William Kennedy
was born on 13th November 1892 in Wishaw, Lanark, Scotland.

He was the son of the Rev'd Samuel Guiler Kennedy and mother unknown (not in 1901 Irish Census). 

In 1901 the family lived in house 5, Crescent Gardens, Windsor, Belfast.

Following his education at RBAI (Inst), Kennedy joined Northern Bank on 4th January 1910 at Head Office.   Transfers followed to Shaftesbury Square (1910), Magherafelt (1911), Shaftesbury Square (1912) and Head Office – relief (1912).  

In 1911 Kennedy was living in house 31, Cromwell Road, Cromac Ward, Belfast.   He is recorded as a Bank Clerk. 



On 9th September 1914, whilst based in Head Office, he volunteered and enlisted into the 14th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles as a Private (Rifleman) with Service Number 14/16657.   His unit is also recorded as the Young Citizen Volunteers (11th Bn. R I R). 

Kennedy was killed in action on 7th June 1917 and is buried in the Spanbroekmolen British Cemetery, Belgium. 

In the July 1917 edition of the Inst School News it was announced that Kennedy had been awarded a Certificate for Gallantry in the field.

He was awarded the 1914/15 Star, the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.






Administration of the Estate of Kennedy was granted at Belfast to Reverend Samuel G Kennedy.  Kennedy's effects were £200.



*  Thanks must go to this website for some of the photographs - Kennedy Genealogy.

Also see S G Kennedy who was a cousin and worked for the Belfast Banking Company.

Stewart, Eric Hilton


Corporal Eric Hilton Stewart
was born in Belfast on 15th July 1895.

He was the son of Harry Hilton Stewart and Anna Mary Maude Stewart of Chattenden, Chichester Park, Belfast.  The family were of  of Church of Ireland faith.  Harry's job was recorded as Bank Inspector.  He worked for the Northern Bank.

In 1911 the parents are living in house 20, Salisbury Avenue, Clifton Ward, Belfast with their family aged 10, 4 and 1.  Eric would have been aged 15 or 16 in 1911.   He was not present in the house on Census day and was recorded as residing in house 1.2, College Hill, Armagh.  This is probably Armagh Royal School. 

On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, Stewart signed the Ulster Covenant at Cliftonpark Church Lecture Hall giving his address as 5 Salisbury Villas, Chichester Park, Belfast.

Stewart joined Northern Bank on 5th October 1913 in Head Office.  Transfers to Shaftesbury Square (1913) and Head Office (1914) followed.

In September 1914, he volunteered and enlisted into the Royal Fusiliers (Public Schools and Universities Bn.) as a Private with Service Number FS5676.   He was promoted to Lance Corporal and then to Corporal.  He served with the British Expeditionary Force ultimately ending up at the Somme (1916).

Stewart was serving with the 20th Bn. Royal Fusiliers when he was killed in action on 16th July 1916 aged 21.

Stewart was awarded the 1914/15 Star, the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, France.

The Belfast News Letter of 25th July 1916 reports:




Furniss, James


2nd Lieutenant James Furniss

was born on 13th November 1888 in Cheshire, North West England, the eldest son of English parents, John E and Ellen Furniss.  John was a Mine Manager. In 1901, the family were living in house 6, Straid, Ballynure, Co. Antrim.  He was raised as Church of Ireland along with his siblings, John Edward (b. 1891), George (b. 1893) and Herbert (b. 1897).  Schooling for James was at Skerry's College, 143 Royal Avenue, Belfast.  The school is described as one that prepares candidates for the Civil Service. 

On 10th April 1905, he joined Northern Bank, firstly going to Head Office, Victoria Street, Belfast.   Over the next 10 years, James saw service in Newry, Grafton Street, Head Office and back again to Grafton Street.

In 1911, James is boarding in house 26, Parnell Place, Rathmines and Rathgar West, Dublin.  A Northern Bank colleague, John Andrew McNutt (b. 1887) is also boarding in this house.   Both have their occupations described as Bank Officials. Whilst working in Dublin, Furniss joined the Clontarf Cricket and Football Club, Castle Avenue, Clontarf, Co. Dublin.   There is one newspaper report of James taking part in a cricket match in 1913.   This appears to have been the only match he played in that year.   There were to be no further matches in the period 1914 to 1919.   During the war the club was closed, as most members had gone to war and the land was cultivated as part of the national food security, the war-time food economy. 

On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, George, Herbert and John Furniss signed the Ulster Covenant at Straid and Ballyboley (Herbert).   Ellen signed the Women’s Ulster Declaration at Ballyclare.

Whilst the war had started in 1914, Furniss decided to wait until 1916 before volunteering for military service.   Although he was working in Grafton Street, Dublin, James travelled to London to enlist into the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps (OTC).  

James Furniss enlisted for war service on 9th February 1916 into the Inns of Court OTC at Stone's Building, London.  This address was probably a recruiting office.  His contract would have been counter-signed by an Ensign (who would probably have been a 2nd Lieutenant), a Justice of the Peace or an Officer or other authorised person permitted to certify recruits, as well as a witness.

There was a medical examination on the same day.   It says that James Furniss’ age was 27 years and one month. He was 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 146 lbs.   His vision was 6 / 6 and his general physical condition was described as ‘good’.   The medical examination was summarised as ‘fit for service in the Inns of Court OTC’.

Furniss was adopted for service at the Inns of Court Officer OTC as a private with a Service Number of 9404.  The document states that he is unmarried, a British citizen and has shown good morals.   The latter was certified on 29th July 1916 by two people.   They were the vicar of Holy Orders in Ballynure who testified that James Furniss had a good morale in the last 25 years and a person named Logan who resided in Co. Antrim who testified that James Furniss had shown good morality throughout life.   It further says that James Furniss has sufficient civilian training to become an officer, as attested by the Principal, John W. Renshaw, Shaftesbury House, Botanic Avenue, Belfast.   This was a Tutorial College in Belfast.

No. 9404, Private James Furniss, Inns of Court OTC was ordered to appear for service on 3rd November 1916 at No. 7 Officer Cadet Battalion in Moore Park, Fermoy.   He trained there until 28th February 1917 when he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and posted to the Royal Irish Rifles.   His training grade was rated ‘Good’.

A document from the Ministry of War (War Office) dated 2nd April 1917 appointed James Furniss to 2nd Lieutenant in the Special Reserve of Officers (4th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles).   It is signed by Colonel M D Graham, Assistant Military Secretary, with a copy to be sent to the responsible officer at the 4th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles, Sunny Lands, Carrickfergus.   As is usual with officer’s promotions, the appointment is also announced in the London Gazette.

Furniss served in this regiment until the spring of 1917 when he was posted to the 1st Bn. Royal Irish Rifles, which then belonged to the 8th Division. 

The 25th Brigade, which the 1st Royal Irish Rifles was attached to on this occasion, had the task of passing through the 23rd and 24th Brigades at the height of the Westhoek Ridge, which ran between Frezenberg and Westhoek Road.   The goal was to reach the "Green" line which was an imaginary line in the terrain that ran from Zonnebeke in the west to the left edge of Polygon Wood.   This second phase of the attack was carried out by three battalions, the 2nd Lincolnshire to the right, the 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the middle and the 2nd Rifle Brigade on the left.

At 06.00 hours in the morning, the battalion moved from the Halfway House and half an hour later there came reports that said that the 23rd and 24th Brigades attack had been a complete success. Furniss’ battalion was then ordered to advance towards Westhoek Ridge in so called artillery formation.   This was a formation that meant that the battalion was advancing according to a specific pattern in which squads were scattered in order to be less vulnerable to artillery fire.

When they approached the Westhoek Ridge at 08:30 hours, it quickly became apparent that the situation was not what they expected.   The advancing brigades had in itself made a successful advance, but they had not managed to occupy positions in "The Black Line" on Westhoek Ridge adjacent to the Polygon Wood, as the officers had previously thought.

Whilst the British artillery opened the new barrage against the German positions, Furniss’ battalion went into the attack in perfect formation.   It was then just after 10:00 hours (Zero hour + 6 hours 20 minutes with zero hour being 03:50 hours).

The Battalion's left company, D Company, had met with declining fire from machine guns and snipers, both directly in front of them and from their right flank, when they began their advance from the Black Line.   D Company was forced soon after to the ground by the enemy machine-gun fire that came from German positions just west of the area that had recently been exposed to the barrages.   The D Company Commander then gave orders that they would attack in sections, but losses the first minute were so terrible that they immediately had to stop the attack and retreated to their original positions and hold them.  This company got in touch with the 2nd Rifle Brigade which at that time was on their left. ‘A’ Company to the right had been stopped by the same reason.   The Battalion middle Company, B, managed to move up all the way to Hannebeke Brook, a truly magnificent feat under the circumstances.   But it turned out after a while that it was impossible for them to defend these new positions as the enemy worked their way around their right flank, so even this company was forced to retreat.  The Company Commander gave orders to retreat until each flank was secured and had established contact with each company off both their right and left side. Colonel Reid, who had command of the battalion only a short time had won the affection and confidence of officers and ranks at all levels, was killed shortly after the attack began. 2nd Lieutenant James Furniss also died at this time and at the same place as Reid.

They managed to beat back a few minor counterattacks on the German side, but at 15:00 hours the situation became more serious when the Germans brought up reinforcements.   It was later reported from their observers that the Germans brought in new fresh troops by truck from Zonnebeke.   The entire weight of the counter case fell on the Lincolnshire and Royal Irish Rifles middle Company, B, and in some places reached the enemy in their trenches.   The surviving soldiers who had been pushed back rounded up by the few remaining officers and soldiers and went to counterattack.   They managed to push back the Germans in a powerful counter-attack, which left behind lots of dead.  A machine-gun was also captured.   The German counter-offensive was definitely broken and the ground gained by the 23rd and 24th Brigades during their past successes, could be held.

2nd Lieutenant James Furniss died on Tuesday, 31st July 1917, on the first day of the Third battle of Ypres.  The weather report that day was overcast and the temperature was nearly 70 degrees Fahrenheit with nearly 1 inch of rain falling late in the afternoon. Earlier in the day had been overcast with fog in the morning, but dry. [This data was derived from notes in the Meteorological Office archives].

The Belfast News Letter of 9th August 1917 reports:




The Belfast News Letter of 10th August 1917 reports:




When James Furniss died, the army advised the family that he had saved a total of £6 18s 1d. The money was sent to his brother, the Rev. George Furniss through a law firm based at 9 Chichester Street, Belfast.

His body was never found.

His brother, George Furniss married Miss Elizabeth Mary Chapman in 1923.   She was the daughter of William Chapman from the Magheralave area in Lisburn. George ministered at Christ Church, Derriaghy; St. Paul’s, Belfast; Drumgooland and St. Patrick's, Newry before retiring in 1936. He died the following year, 1937.

Another brother, Herbert also worked for the Belfast Banking Company.  

2nd Lieutenant James Furniss is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.   He was also awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.   He is also commemorated on the Roll of Honour of the Clontarf Cricket and Football Clubs. During the Great War, 129 members of the club served with 24 paying the supreme sacrifice.

The other brother, Captain John Edward Furniss MC served with the 12th Bn. and the 4th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles.   He was a recipient of the Military Cross and survived the war although badly wounded.
















The Belfast News Letter of 24th April 1916 reports this of his brother, J E Furniss:




The Belfast News Letter of 13th June 1916 reports this of his brother, J E Furniss:



The Belfast News Letter of 28th July 1916 reports this of his brother, J E Furniss:



Probate of the Will was granted at Belfast to The Reverend George Furniss, Clerk.  Furniss' effects were £356 17s.


Curran, Herbert

  



Private Herbert Curran

was born in Shankill, Co. Antrim on 20th August 1894.

He was the son of Miles Curran and Edith Curran of 9 Myrtlefield Park, Belfast.  

The family were members of Elmwood Presbyterian Church.  

In 1901 they were living in house 64, North Parade, Belfast.  The family consisted of:

Miles Curran 42
Edith Curran 38

Harold T Curran 11
Edith 10
William Curran 8 - Royal Fusiliers (Service Number 8034)
Herbert Curran 6 - Royal Fusiliers (Service Number 2101)
May Curran 3
Lancelot Ernest 2 - RFC / RAF (Service Number 75518) - see section below

By 1911, they had moved to house 29, College Gardens, Belfast.  

On 1st May 1912, Curran joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Shaftesbury Square (1912) and Head Office (1913). 
On 2nd December 1914, he volunteered and enlisted into the 24th (2nd Sportsman’s) Bn. Royal Fusiliers (City of London) as a Private with Service Number 2101. 

Curran was aged 21 when he was killed in action on 7th May 1916.  His battalion were in trenches in the vicinity of Fosse 10, Sains-en-Gohelle, when a shell hit a bombproof shelter, killing four men, including Herbert.




He is buried in the Tranchee de Mecknes Cemetery, Aix-Noulette., Pas de Calais, France. 

Curran is also remembered on the Elmwood Presbyterian Church, Belfast War Memorial.  This was only found in the Elmwood Presbyterian Churh, Lisburn after 30 years in a cupboard.





He was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal. 
Administration with the Will was granted at Belfast to Miles Curran, Secretary.  Curran's effects were £196 5s 4d.




On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, William Curran (an older brother) signed the Ulster Covenant at the Old Town Hall, Belfast.



Major Sir Lancelot Ernest Curran


Lancelot was the youngest son of Miles Curran and Edith Curran,  Born in 1899, Lancelot was to enlist in the RFC around 1916 / 1917.  

Following demobilisation from the army as a Major, Lancelot was to take up the legal profession and politics.  He was at various times, a High Court Judge, an MP (at Stormont). the Attorney General for NI and a Privy Councillor. from 1957 until his death in 1984.

Lancelot married Doris and they had 3 children including a daughter called Patricia.  Sadly Patricia was to have been murdered in 1952 in what has become one of Northern Ireland's notorious and as yet unsolved crimes.  There have been many news reports on the case.  This is one from the Belfast Telegraph for reference.