Search This Blog

Saturday, 19 January 2013

Buchanan, Hugh Johnston

Lieutenant Hugh Johnston Buchanan
was born in Fintona on 17th May 1895.  

He was the son of John Gerard Buchanan and Annie E Buchanan.  

In 1901 the family are living in house 27, Main Street, Fintona.  John is described as a Bank Manager.  There were 3 other siblings; John G Buchanan (aged 2) and William Arthur Irvine Buchanan (aged 1) and Margaret J Buchanan (aged 0).

[John G Buchanan Jnr joined the Belfast Belfast Banking Company and also served in the Great War].

[William Arthur Irvine Buchanan served in the Army Veterinary Corps and was killed in action on 24th July 1917].

By 1911 the family property is described as house 23, Main Street, Fintona.  The family would have been living in the manager's house located upstairs in the picture below.  The house entrance would have been down the lane at the left hand side.

On 31st May 1911, Buchanan joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  He was of Church of Ireland faith.  Transfers followed to Ballybofey (1911), Londonderry (1913), Head Office (1913), Limavady (1914), Beragh (1915) and Head Office (1916).

Northern Banking Company Limited, Londonderry

He was based in Head Office on 17th May 1916 when he enlisted as a Private with the (Cadet Coy), 19th Bn. RIR.  He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant with the 19th Bn. RIR and then posted to the 15th Bn. RIR.  He saw service with the British Expeditionary Force and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1918.

Buchanan saw action at Ypres 1917 and Cambrai 1917 before becoming a Prisoner of War in Germany.

The Belfast News Letter of 3rd December 1917 reports:

The Belfast News Letter of 24th December 1917 reports:

The Belfast News Letter of 4th January 1918 reports:

The Belfast News Letter of 7th December 1918 reports:

Following service with the Army of Occupation., he was demobilised in September 1919 and was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal. 
Following demobilisation, Buchanan rejoined the bank at their Ball’s branch.  Promotion and transfers followed with Southern – cash (1919), Southern – manager (1919), Lisburn – manager (1943) and Head Office – manager (1945). 

Hill, Adam Cyril Darley

2nd Lieutenant Adam Cyril Darley Hill
was born in Northern Bank House, Grafton Street, Dublin on 5th December 1897.

He was the son of Edwin Darley Hill and Deborah Hill of Ballynascreen, Greenisland, Co. Antrim.

On 11th October 1915, Hill joined Northern Bank at Falls branch.  His address is recorded as Deramore Drive, Belfast and he was of Church of Ireland faith. 
On 2nd December 1915, Hill volunteered and enlisted into the 19th Bn. (Cadet Company), Royal Irish Rifles as a Private.  On promotion to 2nd Lieutenant he was posted to the 4th Bn. (SR) Royal Irish Rifles. 

The Belfast News letter of 9th September 1916 reports:

The Belfast News letter of 11th September 1916 reports:

On joining the British Expeditionary Force, he was attached to the 7th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. Hill fought in battles at Wytschaete, Messines (1917) and Ypres (1917) before going missing on 16th August 1917 aged 19. 

The Belfast News Letter of 27th August 1917 reports:

The Belfast News letter of 5th December 1917 reports:

Hill was awarded the Parchment Certificate of the 16th (Irish) Division, the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.  He is commemorated at the Tyne Cot Cemetery and also on the Memorial in St. Columba’s College Chapel, Whitechurch, Dublin. 

A brass memorial plaque to Hill is also installed in St Thomas' Church of Ireland, Eglantine Avenue, Belfast.

[Courtesy of Nigel Henderson, Researcher, History Hub Ulster]

A C D Hill is also commemorated in St Nicholas Parish Church, Carrickfergus.  The following newspaper cutting and photographs are of an 'oak lectern'  presented to the church by E D Hill and Mrs Hill.

[Courtesy of Nigel Henderson, Researcher, History Hub Ulster]

Also see Arthur F D Hill (those who applied for service) for further information.

McLean (or MacLean), James Acheson

2nd Lieutenant James Acheson McLean (MacLean) MC
was born on 22nd December 1885 and was the second of 4 sons of John McLean and Martha Ann (née Acheson) McLean, of The Park, Priestland, Bushmills, Co. Derry.   In 1901 and 1911, the family were living in house 2, Park East, Beardiville, Co. Antrim. 

Around 1914 McLean joined the Belfast Banking Company and served as a cashier.  He worked in Sligo branch.

He enlisted at the outbreak of the Great War serving initially with the North Irish Horse and as a Corporal was selected for a commission.  In 1914 he was appointed as a Temporary Second-Lieutenant with the 4th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. 

On 22nd April 1916 a report in the Coleraine Chronicle detailed the contents of a letter from McLean to the Reverend J Bell B.A.   In it, he states “Since writing you we have been engaged in a few ‘scraps’.   The Germans have been more or less active along the whole line. T o capture a wood directly on our front line they made a bold movement, and gained some ground, which they held.   The wood at this point was very dense, and the infantry work rather difficult, so the job was given to us.   We were delighted, and after giving out infantry time to take cover, we opened fire.   On this occasion I was given the observation work and the direction of the fire.   The fire was kept up until the position was made too hot for the enemy.   The system of fire adopted in this case was to swing the guns about from one place to another, so as not to give the enemy any chance of fortifying any particular point.   The guns were next concentrated on the front of the wood, and by gradually increasing the range, swept to the opposite end.   Our infantry at this time crept up under the shadow of our fire, and when daybreak arrived we were in full possession of the wood, which we still hold.   The fight as far as we were concerned was purely sport, as the men are never happier than when the guns are in action.   The French artillery may not be quite so accurate as ours, but their speed is terrific.   I have had the honour to visit and lunch with officers of the French battery.   On that occasion, when I was being shown around, the commanding officer ordered the gun into action.   About a dozen men leapt from a dug-out, and twelve rounds were fired in less than half-a-minute.   The gun used was the famous “75” which we read about in connection with the Verdun battle.   The artillery of both sides, in this case, played a great part, and when the great day arrives you will find the lion’s share of the fight will rest with the artillery.   If possible we always have church service every Sabbath morning in a dug-out, and all are keen to attend.   It is a very full house, our Commander-in-Chief, Sir Douglas Haig, being very strict on this point.   I have had the unusual experience of having to leave the service and take eight men with me, owing to the guns being ordered into action by a telephone message”. 

The London Gazette reported on 26th September 1916 that McLean had been awarded the Military Cross (MC).  The citation reads:

“For conspicuous gallantry in action. He attempted to save a wounded gunner from a burning gunpit, and successfully saved the gun. During an attack he led two platoons of another unit over the parapet, and handed them over to their officer, who was rallying his men in the open. On another occasion he fought a single howitzer with great determination for seven days under heavy shell fire, although himself wounded.” 

He was serving with the 9/148 Brigade Royal Field Artillery as a 2nd Lieutenant when he was killed in action on 30th September 1917.   This was reported in the Coleraine Chronicle of 13th October 1917.   The Belfast News Letter of 13th October 1917 reports:

The Coleraine Chronicle reports on 19th January 1918 that Lt. McLean’s Military Cross was presented to his relatives at a presentation ceremony.  

McLean is buried in Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery, Heuvelland West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

He is mentioned in ‘Bushmills Hero’s 1914 - 1918’ by Robert Thompson, Coleraine, published privately, 2003 (2nd edition). His name is sometimes spelt MacLean.

Manning, Frederick Beresford Everard

Lieutenant Frederick Beresford Everard Manning
was born in 1897.

He was the eldest son of William Manning and Mary Elizabeth Manning.

Manning joined the Belfast Banking Company and worked in Central and East End branches.

East End branch (Albertbridge Road, Belfast)

On 28th September 1912, an Everard Manning signed the Ulster Covenant at Dufferin Memorial Hall, Bangor giving his address as 61 Ballyholme Road, Bangor.

Manning served with the 11th Brigade, Machine Gun Company and attained the rank of Lieutenant in 1916.

The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' booklet records Manning as having been 'previously wounded' with his last known address as 'in France'.

The Belfast News Letter of 21st October 1917 reports:

Manning may have left the bank.

The London Gazette of 2nd March 1928 records Manning as being promoted to Captain in the Indian Medical Service from 4th August 1927 with seniority from 3rd April 1925.

McClatchie, John Dermot

Lieutenant John Dermot McClatchie
was born on 26th July 1897.  

He was the son of James William McClatchie and Jane McClatchie.  James’ occupation is a Bank Manager.  In 1901, McClatchie was living in house 9, High Street, Lurgan.  By 1911 the family are living in house 13, Market Street, Lurgan, Co. Armagh. 
On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, a John McClatchie signed the Ulster Covenant at the Town Hall, Lurgan giving his address as Albert Street, Lurgan. 
McClatchie joined Northern Bank and worked in Bray as junior.  He was of Presbyterian faith. 
Whilst in Bray, McClatchie volunteered and enlisted into the 4th Bn. RIR.  He saw service with the British Expeditionary Force, was then posted to the 8th Bn. RIR ending up in the 15th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles as a Lieutenant.  He was invalided once. 

Demobilisation came in April 1919. 
He was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal. 

There was also a further son, Captain W A McClatchie MC.  The Belfast News Letter of 26th September 1917 reports: