He was the son of Robert S Lyons and Ellen M Lyons. In 1901, Lyons was living in house 27, Mark Street, Portrush, Co. Antrim. He was of Presbyterian faith. By 1911, their property was known as house 19, Mark Street, Portrush, Co. Antrim. He is recorded as an unemployed Bank Clerk.
On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, Lyons signed the Ulster Covenant at the City Hall, Belfast giving his address as The Bank, Drumshanks, (Co. Leitrim).
The Belfast News Letter of 18th September 1918 reports:
Following demobilisation, Lyons rejoined the Northern Bank on 12th May 1919 at Ball’s Branch. Transfers followed to Newry (1920), Londonderry (1922), Omagh (1927), Grafton Street (1930), Boyle (1933) and Bray (1940).