Search This Blog

Monday, 12 November 2012

Lilburn, Joseph Lockington


Flight Lieutenant Joseph Lockington Lilburn

was born on 22nd September 1919.  

His father was a R K Lilburn of 11 Temple Villas, Palmerston Road, Dublin who worked for the Royal Bank of Ireland Ltd. 

Lilburn joined the Belfast Banking Company on 4th May 1937. 

J L Lilburn once wrote: 

“…. Had there not been no war, I should not have thought of getting married until I have at least 10 years service in the Bank….”

Lilburn served as a Warrant Officer (Service Number 745459) with the RAF (Volunteer Reserve).   He was promoted to Pilot Officer (with Service Number 156634) on 11th July 1943, Flying Officer on 11th January 1944 and Flight Lieutenant on 18th March 1945.   He was then retained permanently on the RAF Active List until 1954. 

A family friend of Lilburn is in possession of copies of his Log Book describing every flight he made during and after the war. 

‘Paddy' Lilburn, as he was known, initially flew from RAF Eglinton Airport (now known as the City of Derry Airport).   He flew Hurricanes and Spitfires during the war but did not take part in the Battle of Britain due to being posted to Scotland.   Later he flew missions over Europe. 

Lilburn was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club on 24th April 1946 paying 5 shillings subscription.   He served in Head Office and North End branch. 

Lilburn resigned from the bank on 11th July 1946. 

'Paddy' did not return to banking but stayed in the RAF. 

Lilburn died on 14th November 2002 in Horsham, West Sussex.   He was described as a retired Fighter Pilot.

Northern Bank - Ladies of 1919

Northern Bank - Ladies of 1919


A number of Lady Staff photographed on the roof of the Northern Bank Head Office building in Victoria Street, Belfast.

Some of them may have joined the bank to cover the officials who had left for war service.


Northern Bank Golf Club Outing - May 1951



Amongst this group of golfers are a few ex-servicemen i.e. L McK White, J F Bristow, Wm H G Millikin and R P MacGregor.

Belfast Bank Football Team - 1930's




Amongst this group of footballers are a few ex-servicemen i.e. O. Mulholland, W A Rainey and I W Bratty.

Larmour, George Edward

Captain George Edward Larmour
was born on 11th November 1920.  He was educated at Banbridge Academy where he as Head Boy, Hockey Captain and House Captain for Rugby.
In 1938 Larmour joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Head Office – Letter Department (1938), Crumlin Road (1941) and Head Office (1942). 

On 8th March 1943 he was ‘Called up on Active Service’ into the Royal Ulster Rifles as a Private.  Promotions followed to Officer Cadet and 2nd Lieutenant with Service Number EC14755.  He also served in the Indian Army.  His final rank was Captain. 
Larmour resumed duties with Northern Bank on 19th June 1947 at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Stationery Department (1948), Hillsborough (1952), Shaftesbury Square (1955), Windsor (1960), Lurgan (1961), Lisburn (1963), Omagh (1965), Lisburn (1968) and Regional Director (1976).

There is an excellent family tribute to Larmour in this link.
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (Autumn 1975)’ contains a photograph of Larmour. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Summer 1982) records Larmour retiring on 22nd February 1982 as Regional Director.  There is a photograph of him with R C Malseed and H McManus.









Ted Larmour died on 10th August 2016.

Donaghy, Thomas Moffett


Sergeant Thomas Moffett Donaghy MM
was born on 13th February 1912 and of Presbyterian faith. 
On 2nd June 1920 he joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Coleraine (1920), Head Office (1920), Knock (1930), Maghera (1931), Oldcastle (1934), Head Office – relief (1938) and Grafton Street – relief (1938). 
On 9th January 1940 he joined the North Irish Horse and was ‘Called up’ on 16th January 1940.  His rank on joining was Trooper (Driver mechanic).  Promotions followed to Sergeant. 
Donaghy was awarded the Military Medal on 26th April 1945.  The citation reads:
“On November 14th 1944, at map ref 418206 Sergeant Donaghy was Troop Leader of three tanks supporting A Company 6 Black Watch.  His orders were to support A Company in clearing the houses on each side of the road and seizing the T junction 418206.  At the junction several enemy tanks were known to be lying in wait.  One anti-tank gun was known to be sited down the road which had not been swept for mines, and it was impossible to get off the road.  A platoon of 6 Black Watch had managed to reach a house 200 yards short of the objective but were pinned down from Spandau fire from the enemy tanks.  Sergeant Donaghy made a most gallant attempt to get to their assistance.  The only way was straight up the road.  As soon as he moved he came under high-explosive and armour-piercing fire from enemy tanks but continued up the road.  Just before he reached the infantry his tank was hit and knocked out.  Sergeant Donaghy was wounded by blast and splash in the face and could not see out of one eye.  He refused to be evacuated and after dark sufficiently repaired his tank to enable it to be towed to a defensive position for the night.  He accomplished this in spite of intense fixed line Spandau fire down the road.  He manned his tank throughout the night and did not go to hospital until ordered to do so next day.  Sergeant Donaghy’s grim determination at all costs to carry out his task of supporting the infantry and his success in carrying out this task in face of strong opposition and in spite of his own wounds, showed devotion to duty and personal courage which were quite beyond praise.”
On 4th February 1946 he resumed service with the Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Grafton Street – relief (1946), Head Office – relief (1946), Head Office (1947), Lisburn (1948), Head Office (1948), Claudy (1948), Larne (1952), Banbridge (1954), Head Office (1955) and Donegall Square (1956). 


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square


Donaghy retired on 30th November 1956.



Gabbey, Hugh Maurice


Major Hugh Maurice Gabbey
was born in Belfast on 11th April 1907.  His mother was Mrs Sara Ethel Gabbey of Dundela Villas, Strandtown, Belfast.

Gabbey was educated at the Royal Belfast Acedemical Institution (RBAI - Inst).
Gabbey joined the Belfast Banking Company on 15th December 1924.  His early years were served in Head Office until his career was interrupted by the Second World War.
Gabbey served with the 21st Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery.  His Service Number was 87357.  He was one of those fortunate to return unscathed from the French beaches and he saw action in Buma where he commanded a battery from 1942 to 1945.


8th Belfast HAA Regiment, Royal Artillery.

Gabbey is mentioned in this 16mm film just after 6' 40" in.  He is described as a bridge player.

Acknowledgements to lennonwylie
He was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club on 24th April 1946 paying 5 shillings subscription.  At that time he was recorded as being in Castle Place branch.  The following year, he was recorded as being in Head Office.  He served as an Inspector (1953), Manager, Waring Street (1959), Managing Director (1966) and Director of the Belfast Banking Executor and Trustee Company Limited.

In the 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company he is recorded as being Managing Director of the Belfast Bank.  

Gabbey's interests outside the bank were rugby football, tennis, soccer, Contract Bridge, Chamber of Commerce, Royal British Legion.  He was also Govenor of the War Memorial Building of the Legion in Waring Street, Belfast.
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ of Summer 1972 contains a photograph of Gabbey. 
His wife is a former member of staff of the Belfast Bank and also of Midland Bank Limited.
He died on 2nd December 1974. 

The author, C S Lewis also lived at Dundela Villas.

H M Gabbey - June 1971

Henderson, James Montgomery


James Montgomery Henderson
was educated at Belfast Royal Academy.

He joined the Belfast Banking Company in April 1931. 

It is thought that Henderson may have volunteered for 'Active Service' with the Royal Artillery.
Prior to his war service, Henderson worked in Ballymoney and Warrenpoint branches.

Following his return to the Belfast Bank after the war, Henderson worked in Waring Street, Clearing Department and Chief Cashier's Department.

After 45 years service, Henderson retired as Assistant Chief Cashier in April 1976. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (Summer 1976)’ contains the above photograph of Henderson.

Stutt, Robert Alexander (Alec) Crickton


Sergeant Robert Alexander (Alec) Crichton Stutt
was born on 15th December 1919.  

He was the son of the Rev. John William Stutt, 545 Antrim Road, Belfast (Methodist Minister).
Known as Alec, he joined the Belfast Banking Company on 16th May 1938.  At the start of the War, Stutt volunteered and joined the Royal Artillery, serving 7 years.  He rose to the rank of Sergeant.
Following demobilisation, Alec rejoined the Belfast Banking Company.
He was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club in March 1947 paying 5 shillings subscription.  At that time he was working in Castle Place branch.  Transfers followed to Head Office (1948), North End (1949). 
He recorded in the 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company as being manager of 437 Lisburn Road branch. 
He retired on 30th April 1981 as manager of the High Street, Belfast branch.
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ of Summer 1981 contain photographs of Stutt.  


Stutt died on 15th August 2015 at Oakmount Lodge Care Home, Bangor.  He was predeased by his wife, Beatrice.  Following cremation at Roselawn Crematorium, a Service of Remembrance was held at Carnalea Methodist Church on 15th August 2015.



McFadden, John Thomas Brooks


John Thomas Brooks McFadden
was born on 3rd April 1920.
McFadden joined the Belfast Banking Company on 6th September 1939. 
On 2nd October 1942, McFadden was signing the bank notes for the Belfast Banking Company. 
He may also have been serving with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) and was promoted to Lieutenant on 2nd August 1956 with seniority back to 25th November 1951. 
Following his return from Active Service, McFadden is recorded as being a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club in March 1947 paying 5 shillings subscription.  McFadden was recorded as being in Bradbury Place branch with a transfer to Lisburn taking place in 1952.  He also served in Ballyclare branch. 
McFadden retired on 30th September 1976. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link of Spring 1973 and Autumn 1974 contain additional photographs of McFadden.

Cross, Campbell


Campbell Cross
was born on 29th December 1913 of Church of Ireland faith.
On 8th May 1932 he joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Fintona (1932), Strokestown (1934), Head Office (1937), Maghera (1938) and Head Office (1939). 
On 5th September 1939, Cross joined the Anti-Aircraft battery at Coleraine.  He was ‘Called up on Active Service’ on 8th September 1939.  His unit is named as the 6th Light A-A Battery, 3rd Anti-Aircraft Brigade.  His rank is Gunner. 
On account of ‘ear trouble’, he resumed duty with Northern Bank at Head Office on 30th July 1942.  Transfers followed within Relief Staff (1942 to 1948), Head Office (1948), Ballinamore (1949), Head Office (1953), Willowfield (1955), Donegall Square (1961), Willowfield (1961) and Comber 1965. 




Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

He retired around about 1975 / 1976. 
On 13th December 1974 Cross attended an Investiture at Hillsborough Castle to receive an award of a Velum Vote of Thanks from the Bailiff of Egle, The Lord Cozens-Hardy.  This award was in recognition for his services as Honorary Treasurer of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade in County Down. 
Aged 87, Cross attended the 2000 re-dedication ceremony of the Rolls of Honour. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ of Autumn 1976 contain an article about Cross. 



[The Link, Autumn 1976]

Thompson, Eric Nelson


Captain Eric Nelson Thompson
was born on 20th May 1922.  From Scotch Street, Downpatrick, he was of Church of Ireland faith
On 29th May 1941 Thompson joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Donegall Square (1941), Head Office (1941), Maghera (1941), Head Office (1942) and Bangor (1942). 


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

He resigned on 15th February 1944 for Active Duty. 

In 1945, the London Gazette reports a Cadet Eric Nelson Thompson with Service Number (Other Ranks) 13119428 being promoted to 2nd Lieutenant with Service Number (Officer) 352446.  

His unit is recorded as the Pioneer Corps.  Promotion to Lieutenant from an Emergency Commission came in 1950 and he was granted the honorary rank of Captain (Royal Pioneer Corps). 
On 1st October 1947 Thompson resumed duty with the Northern Bank at Head Office.  A transfer to Lisburn (1947) followed with further moves to Newcastle, Lisburn and Antrim.  In 1975 he was transferred from Antrim – manager to Ballyclare – manager. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Summer 1981) records his retirement on 31st March 1981 with an article and a photograph.


E N Thompson died on 28th November 2013.

THOMPSON, ERIC NELSON - September 28, 2013, peacefully, at Clonlee Private Nursing Home, loving husband of the late Joyce, formerly of Templepatrick, loving and devoted father of Anne and Karen, dear grandfather of Monika and great-grandfather of Lena-Marie.  
A Service of Thanksgiving for his life will be held in Bairds Funeral Home, Antrim on Friday 4th October at 11.00 a.m., and afterwards to Belmont Cemetery. Family flowers only please. 
Donations in lieu, if desired, made payable to Cancer Research, c/o Bairds Funeral Directors, 71 Church Street, Antrim, BT41 4BE. 
Lovingly remembered and sadly missed by the entire family circle. You will always have a place in our hearts.

Moore, William Edward


William Edward Moore
was born on 30th April 1914.
He joined the Belfast Banking Company on 1st July 1932. 
Following his return from War Service, Moore is recorded as being a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club on 28th March 1946 paying 5 shillings subscription. 
At that time he was in Central branch.  Transfers followed to Newtownards (1957), Head Office (1960), Downpatrick (1963) and Newtownards (1970).

Carson, John


Lieutenant John Carson (RN)
was born on 7th November 1912 of Presbyterian faith.
On 7th April 1931 Carson joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Grafton Street – relief (1931), Ball’s Branch (1931), Newtownstewart (1934), Shaftesbury Square (1935), Omagh (1939), Head Office (1940) and Newtownards (1942). 
Carson was on ‘Active Service’ between 23rd May 1942 and 5th June 1946 with the Royal Navy.  His final rank is recorded as Lieutenant (RNVR). 
Following his return from service, Carson rejoined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Royal Avenue (1947), Antrim Road (1953), Head Office (1953), Donegall Square (1957), Knock (1963), Windsor (1963) and Randalstown (1967). 


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

On 10th January 1952, Carson became the ‘Mine Watching Service Officer’ for Belfast.

Carson retired as manager of Carrickfergus branch.

Bristow, John Follett


Squadron Leader John Follett Bristow
was born in the District Township of Krugersdorp, South Africa on 5 May 1907 and baptised at St. Peters, Krugersdorp on 16 June 1907 and was baptised at St. Peters, Krugersdorp on 16 June 1907.
Bristow joined Northern Bank on 11th May 1925 in Head Office.  Transfers followed to Antrim Road (1925), Head Office (1927), Connswater (1931), Head Office (1933) and Lisburn (1940). 
In 1928 he joined the RAF Special Reserve.
On 2nd December 1940, he joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve (RAFVR).  His Service Number was 89053.  Promotion came in July 1941 to Pilot Officer, Flying Officer in December 1941 and Flight Lieutenant in December 1942.  The London Gazette records him as being a War Substantive Squadron Leader from December 1943.  He relinquished his commission in July 1963 with a rank of Flight Lieutenant, RAF Secretarial Branch. 

The following sections have been provided via comments left:

John Follett Bristow was son to Captain Samuel Follett Bristow. For instance -

Captain Samuel Follett Bristow – first Rank: Lieutenant - The Royal Irish Rifles; Dark Green Facings, 4th Battalion {formerly the Queen's Royal Rifles}: obtained, 3 November 1897; see - Lieutenant General H. G. Hart, (ed), The new annual army list; militia list, and yeomanry cavalry list, for 1898 (being the fifty-ninth annual volume), containing dates of commissions, and a summary of the war services of nearly every officer in the army, supply & c., departments, marines, and Indian staff corps, and Indian local forces, corrected to the 31 December 1897, with an index by the late Lieutenant General H. G. Hart, vol. lix, (London, 1898), p. 371; he served in the Anglo-Boer War with 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Riffles. Later Rank: Second Lieutenant. 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Riffles and embarked for South Africa on 26 October 1899. See – Lieutenant General H. G. Hart, (ed), Harts Annual Army List; Included in this volume, The Royal Company of Archers: The King's Body Guard for Scotland, vol. lxiv (London, 1903), p. 345. Soon after seconded for service with the South African Constabulary on 15 November 1900 – See The London Gazette, 16 April 1901, p. 2620; and by 1902 obtained the rank of Captain: E Division South African Constabulary. Captain Samuel Follett Bristow was severely wounded during a skirmish at Leeuwpan on 1 May 1902 – See Belfast Telegraph, 8 May 1902].

Squadron Leader John Follett Bristow’s mother was Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green. For instance -

Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green was daughter to Henry Green of Kimberley, Cape Province, South Africa. The latter was born Montreal Canada, 23 August 1818 and died Springkloof Barkly West, Cape Province, South Africa, 26 September 1884 – See Probate Records of the Supreme Court, Africa, 1871-1937. Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green’s mother was Ida Johanna Caroline Green ńee Von Lilienstein of Baronrath and Wessels Roads, Cape Province, South Africa. The latter was born a German Countess in c.1837 and died Claremont, Cape Province, South Africa on 13 May 1911: see - South Africa, Cape Province, Civil Deaths. Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green was married first to Arthur James McLeod of Bulawayo, South Africa. The latter was an Attorney of Law. Her second husband was Captain Samuel Follett Bristow of E Division South African Constabulary.

During 1905 to 1908 Captain Samuel Follett Bristow of E Division South African Constabulary was promoted to Inspector of the newly constituted Transvaal {South African Republic} Police. Following Inspector Samuel Follett Bristow’s death in c. 1911, Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green made her way to Ireland with her 3 sons – one of whom was John Follett Bristow. No doubt the reason why Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green decided to move from Africa to Ireland was because her late husband’s family were from there. Indeed, Inspector Samuel Follett Bristow’s father was The Very Rev. Dean John Bristow M. A of Down and Connor; Incumbent of Gleneraig, County Down in 1863 and Rector of St. James, Belfast in 1890. The Very Rev. Dean John Bristow M. A was brother to James Thom[p]son Bristow. For instance -

James Thom[p]son Bristow was the eldest son of James Bristow of Belfast; he was appointed pro-Director of the Northern Banking Company in 1848 and in 1852 he was elected as a Director of the Northern Banking Company. During 1863 to 1867 James Thom[p]son Bristow became Managing Director of the Northern Banking Company, following the death of his father - See Belfast Weekly News, 28 July 1877.

Thus, Inspector Samuel Follett Bristow’s great grandfather was James Bristow - Managing Director of the Northern Banking Company. This individual was one of the early founders of the Northern Bank and one of a long line of Bristow’s who had occupied positions of authority in this institution during the late ninetieth and early twentieth century.

Squadron Leader John Follet Bristow married his wife Marjorie Isobel Bristow ńee McKee at McCracken Memorial Presbyterian Church, Upper Malone, Belfast on 3 November 1935 [See - Belfast Newsletter, 4 July 1935. By 1935 John Follett Bristow's mother - widow Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green, had remarried for the third time to Brown Sproule Campbell and had relocated with her husband to Kenya, Africa. Brown Sproule Campbell died in the Eldoret District of Kenya Colony on 10 January 1935. At which point Alice Maud Campbell was named as the administrator of his estate by His Majesties Supreme Court of Kenya - See: The Official Gazette of the Colony and Protectorate of Kenya, vol. xxxvii, No. 15 (Nairobi, 26 March 1935), p. 280. Brown Sproule Campbell was a Chartered Accountant whose birth was registered in Belfast in 1886. The latter was son to a Shipyard Manager - William Campbell of 5 Kansas Avenue, Clifton, Belfast - See Census of Ireland 1911.

Alice Maud Bristow ńee McLeod/Green and Brown Sproule Campbell had married in Belfast in 1918. Brown Sproule Campbell was an Accountant in Muncipality of Eldoret, Kenya Colony in 1934. The latter’s wife remained in Eldoret until at least 1938. In fact, she was registered up until that point on the Eldoret Electoral Roll. Alice Maud Campbell ńee Bristow/McLeod/Green and Brown Sproule Campbell boarded the ship Tanganjika - destination: Mombasa on 23 December 1929. There address at that point in time was 59 Botanic Gardens Belfast. The couple travelled from Kenya to Northern Ireland in 1934 and stayed at 33 Ulsterville Avenue, Belfast. In 1948 Alice Maud Campbell ńee Bristow/McLeod/Green returned to Northern Ireland from Kenya and visited 16 Shrewsbury Gardens, Belfast.

Squadron Leader John Follett Bristow’s wife Marjorie Isobel Bristow ńee McKee was a Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Music and a Licentiate of the Guildhall School of Music. The latter was daughter to George McKee of Deramore Park, Belfast and her residence at the time of her death was 16 Shrewsbury Gardens, Belfast, BT9 6PJ. This of course was the same address that her mother-in-law Alice Maud Campbell ńee Bristow/McLeod/Green had visited on her return visit from Kenya to Belfast to see her son and his family in 1948.

Squadron Leader John Follett Bristow was transferred from the Royal Airforce General Duties Branch to the Royal Airforce Special Reserves on 21 December 1927. His Service Record with the RAFSR was started on 5 January 1928 and his temporary rank as Pilot Officer was announced on 3 January 1928. Between 14 January 1929 and 26 January 1929 Pilot Officer John Follett Bristow was assessed at RAF Eastchurch. He obtained scores of 96 per cent in gunning and 75 per cent in bombing. His assessor wrote that Pilot Officer John Follett Bristow was ‘a very keen and intelligent Officer. He knows the Lewis gun thoroughly [and] has a working knowledge of the bomb sight’. Not long after this assessment The London Gazette, reported on 2 July 1929, that Pilot Officer John Follett Bristow’s rank was officially confirmed; however, on 8 September 1933 the latter relinquished his commission on completion of his Service. 7 years later, Pilot Officer John Follett Bristow reapplied to the RAF on 15 July 1940. At this point his goal was to join the RAF Volunteer Reserves and, indeed, it was mentioned on his Service Record that his home address was 16 Shrewsbury Gardens, Belfast, Northern Ireland and that in civilian life he was a Bank Official in the Northern Banking Co., Belfast.

I noticed you said that you weren’t aware of any children, but Squadron Leader John Follett Bristow and Marjorie Isobel Bristow ńee McKee did have a son. His name was Colin George Bristow, the 2x great grandson of James Bristow: Managing Director of the Northern Banking Company, great grandson of The Very Rev. Dean John Bristow M. A of Down and Connor and grandson of Inspector Samuel Follett Bristow of the Transvaal {South African Republic} Police.
End of comments section.




Following demobilisation, Bristow resumed duty in the Bank on 15th November 1945 in Head Office.  Transfers followed to Markets (1945), Donegall Square (1948) and Head Office (1966) as Sub Chief Accountant. 



Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

He retired on 31st May 1970.

Squadron Leader John Follett Bristow died on 3rd January 2007 and is buried in his grandparents's family grave at Drumbeg Parish Church, Co. Down, Northern Ireland.

Rainey, William Alexander


Squadron Leader William Alexander Rainey DFC
joined the Belfast Banking Company. 
The London Gazette (1943) records a W A Rainey with Service Number 123607.  Rainey served in the RAF and attained the rank of Squadron Leader and as a Bomber Pilot he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.  His citation reads:

"This officer has consistently displayed the utmost courage, fortitude and devotion to duty in many hazardous operations against enemy targets by day and night."
Following demobilisation he returned to Ballymena where his community service was recognised in 1960 when he was made a Justice of the Peace (JP) for County Antrim.  He also holds the Gold Badge, the highest award of the RAF Association for outstanding service.

Rainey is recorded in the 1956 and 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company as being manager of Ballymena branch. 

In sport, Rainey has represented Ulster in tennis and hockey and he was a single handicap golfer at Royal Portrush Golf Club.

He holds the Diploma of the Institute of Bankers in Ireland.
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link of Summer 1970 and Summer 1974 contain photographs of Rainey. 

He died on 10th July 1978.


Spence, Arthur Leonard


Squadron Leader Arthur Leonard Spence DFC
was born in Donegal on 25th February 1908.  He was the son of Andrew and Lily Spence and of Presbyterian faith.  In 1911 the family were living in house 7, Figary, Fahan, Co. Donegal. 
On 1st September 1925 Spence joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Londonderry (1925), Head Office (1931), Carrickfergus (1933) and Head Office – Relief Staff (1937). 

Northern Banking Company Limited, Londonderry

On 2nd May 1939 he was joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve.  He was ‘Called up on Active Service’ on 2nd September 1939 with Service Number 81694. 
He returned to work from 5th October 1939 to 26 October 1939. 
His rank and promotions were Leading Aircraftman, Pilot Officer, Flying Officer, Flight Lieutenant (1941) and Squadron Leader followed in 1943. 

Spence was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) in 1941. 

On 19th November 1945 Spence resumed duty with the Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Royal Avenue (1948), Knock (1951), Head Office (1951), Lurgan (1958), Head Office (1954), Queen’s Square (1967) and Dublin Regional Director (1971). 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (Spring 1971)’ contains a Profile and photograph (above) of Spence. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Spring 1973) records Spence as retiring as Dublin Regional Director on 28th February 1973. 
Spence died on 18th January 1981.



Thompson, Michael (Mickey) Stanley Desalis

Captain Michael (Mickey) Stanley Desalis Thompson
was born on 27th September 1920.  His address was 11 Holland Park, Belfast. He was of Church of Ireland faith. 
On 15th May 1939 Thompson joined Northern Bank at Head Office. 
Thompson enlisted for Active Service on 6th June 1940 when he joined the North Irish Horse / Royal Irish Fusiliers.  His various promotions were from Fusilier to Lance Corporal to Corporal to Cadet (via Sandhurst) to 2nd Lieutenant and then Captain in the Regular Army (1942).  In the previous year, he was attached to the Royal Tank Regiment (RTR).  The London Gazette records his later promotions as Lieutenant to Captain (1951) with Service Number 184269 (North Irish Horse).  In 1967 he resigned his commission but retained his rank of Captain. 
Following the War, Thompson resumed duty with the Northern Bank on 26th August 1946 at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Donegall Square (1946), Head Office – Relief Staff (1948), Willowfield (1948), Head Office (1955), Executor & Trustee (1960), Head Office (1963) and Head Office – Assistant Chief Accountant (1966). 


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square


In 1958, Thompson had passed his final examination of the Corporation of Secretaries. 

Thompson retired as Bank Secretary in 1983.
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Spring 1971) records his appointment as Assistant Secretary. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (Autumn 1973)’ contains a photograph of Thompson. 
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Winter 1983) records his retirement as Bank Secretary on 31st October 1983.

Please also see:

Images of Ex-Servicemen's Association - 1974

Images of Ex-Servicemen's Association - 1976


Wilson, H Albert


H Albert Wilson
joined the Belfast Banking Company. 

Following his return from Active Service, Wilson was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club in March 1948 paying 1 shillings subscription.  He is recorded as being in Lisburn branch. 

Wilson is recorded in the 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company as being sub-manager of Bradbury Place branch.  He also served in Lurgan branch. 
Wilson retired on 31st May 1952 from Finaghy branch. 
An article with photograph was published in the staff magazine ‘The Link’ (Autumn 1982).

Williamson, Edward


Edward Williamson
was born on 12th October 1910.  He was the son of John Williamson and Harriet F Williamson.

Williamson joined the Belfast Banking Company on 18th July 1927. 

Following his return from Active Service, Williamson was transferred to Central (1946), South End (1956), Head Office (1963). 
In 1947, Williamson was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club paying 5 shillings subscription.  
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link’ (Autumn 1972) records Williamson’s appointment from Joint Chief Cashier to Chief Cashier. 

Russell, James Dick


James Dick Russell
was the son of the Rev. William Russell and Margaret Russell of 21 Brookvale Avenue, Belfast.

He was probably born around 1919 / 1920.

The Belfast Gazette dated 23rd June 1933 mentions the Rev. Wm Russell in a charitable bequest notice.  A William Martin (manager) is also mentioned.

Russell probably joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1938 / 1939.

Russell is recorded in the 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company as being sub-manager of Donegall Square North branch (Central branch).

Richardson, James Alexander


James Alexander Richardson
was born on 17th October 1911.  

He was the son of William Richardson, Tobermore (Auctioneer).

Richardson joined the Belfast Banking Company on 1st July 1930.  
The London Gazette (1941) records a 2nd Lieutenant J A Richardson with Service Number 90355 serving with the Royal Artillery TA.  He served as a Desert Rat in Egypt.
Following his return from Active Service, Richardson was transferred to Ballymena (1947) and later to Strabane.


Belfast Banking Company, Strabane


During the 1950's he was Treasurer of the Ballymena Services Club.

W R Richardson (son) has provided some of the information above.

Pyper, Robert Brownlow


Robert Brownlow Pyper
Lived in 29 High.... Avenue, Belfast.

In 1938, Pyper left Campbell College, Belfast.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
He joined the Belfast Banking Company and served in Western branch. 

Following demobilisation, Pyper continued his education and left Trinity College, Dublin in 1948.

Nesbitt, Edgar David


Edgar David Nesbitt
was born on 6th May 1905 and joined the Belfast Banking Company on 1st May 1922. 

The 1911 Irish Census records Sidney Jamison as the brother of Tysie Theodora Nesbitt. 
Nesbitt returned from Active Service on 21st January 1946. 
Known as Paddy, he served in Head Office and also possibly in Stationery Department.

Shortt, James Alexander

Sub-Lieutenant James Alexander Dickson Shortt (RNVR)
was born on 2nd December 1917 of 266 Stranmillis Road, Belfast. He was of Church of Ireland faith. 
On 1st April 1937 Shortt joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Windsor (1937), Portadown (1939), Windsor (1939) and Head Office (1940). 
He was permitted to enlist for Active Service on 15th February 1939.  Shortt joined the Royal Navy on 30th December 1939 serving on an armed cruiser.  In 1941 he was gazetted as a Temporary Paymaster Sub-Lieutenant (RNVR). 
Shortt resigned in 1946.

McCurdy, John Hanna


John Hanna McCurdy
was born in 1910.

He was the son of Charles McCurdy and Catherine McCurdy,  

The 1911 Irish Census records the family residing in house 32, Bushmills.  Charles is recorded as being a Merchant Tailor.  John had 4 brothers and 4 sisters.

McCurdy probably joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1928 and served in Londonderry branch. 

He served during WWII.

He is recorded in the 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company as being manager of Strabane branch.


Belfast Banking Company, Strabane


McCord, William George


Sergeant William George McCord
of Saintfield was born on 17th May 1913.

He joined the Belfast Banking Company on 1st May 1931.

McCord married a Clara Abbott of Hillsborough on either the 10th or 14th October 1939.

McCord saw service in WWII with the Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery.

Following his return from War Service, McCord was transferred to Central branch on 1st December 1945. He also worked in Head Office.

McBride, Frederick Charles


Frederick Charles McBride
was born on 17th January 1921.  He had a brother called David Livingstone McBride of 48 Melrose Street, Belfast.
McBride joined the Belfast Banking Company on 15th April 1940.  

McBride returned from Active Service on 23rd September 1946.  He was transferred to Ballymena on 1st November 1946.  He is recorded in the 1966 annual accounts of the Belfast Banking Company as being sub-manager of the Albertbridge Road branch.  He also served in Head office and Finaghy. 
McBride retired on 31st May 1982 from Finaghy branch. 
An article with photograph was published in the Northern Bank staff magazine ‘The Link’ (Autumn 1982).  
Mrs M McBride, widow of F C McBride attended the 2000 re-dedication ceremony of the Rolls of Honour.