Search This Blog

Sunday, 11 November 2012

Gunning, George Cecil


Private George Cecil Gunning

was born in 1892.

He was the son of Sinclair Gunning and Kathleen Gunning.  In 1901, the family are living in house 1, Toneystick, Alexandra Terrace, Enniskillen.

Gunning would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1909.

By 1911, Cecil Gunning has moved to Belfast and is boarding in house 30, Eia Street, Clifton Ward (Belfast). He is described as a Bank Official Clerk and is one of four Bank Officials boarding there. The other three possible colleagues are Mather Murray (23), Nawer Bradshaw (25) and Thomas White (21). The parents and their 3 other boys and 1 daughter are living in 21 Willoughby Place, Enniskillen.


Willoughby Place, Enniskillen


On 28th September 1912, Gunning signed the Ulster Covenant at Enniskillen.

Gunning served as a Private with the 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

The National Archives records a Medal Index Card as follows:

Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 14771, Private




Following his demobilisation after the Great War, Gunning returned to work.

In 1938 he was Manager in Tandragee branch before ending up as Manager of Portadown branch.

He was a past captain of Tandragee Golf Club (1940).

Retirement came in 1953 and he died on 20th March 1974.

The Gunning family were well known in Enniskillen. Their father was the Distributor of Stamps in Enniskillen from 1877 to 1910.  He died in 1916.

During the Great War, John (Jack) Sinclair (20 in 1911) worked for the Ulster Bank, George Cecil (19 in 1911) worked for the Belfast Banking Company and Frank Douglas (16 in 1911) worked for the Bank of Ireland. Jack joined the Royal Navy, Cecil and Douglas joined the Army and Willie (13 in 1911) joined the Royal Naval Reserve. Douglas was reported as killed in action on 1st July 1916.

An early family photograph of the parents with their young family is held by the Enniskillen Castle Museum.


Photo - BBC 'Your Place and Mine'.


The Belfast News Letter of 8th July1916 reports on F D Gunning:




The Belfast News Letter of 6th September 1916 reports on F D Gunning:






7th October 1916 reports on F D Gunning:





This next link is to a BBC website called 'Your Place and Mine'.  It reports on the Gunning family an dincludes some audio clips that may work (depending on what applications are on your computer).

WW1 - The Gunning Family



G C Gunning (left) and B H Gunning (via Ancestry.com)


Kearney, Herbert


Cadet Herbert Kearney
was born in 1893.

He was the son of William and Isabella Jane Kearney.  In 1901 the family lived in house 82, Old Park Avenue, Clifton Ward, Belfast.

Kearney would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1910. 

By 1911 the family property is known as house 60, Oldpark Avenue, Clifton Ward, Belfast. Herbert is described as a Bank Clerk.

On 28th September 1912, Kearney signed the Ulster Covenant at the City Hall, Belfast giving his address as 128 Oldpark Avenue, Belfast.

Kearney served as an Officer Cadet with the Officer Training Corps (OTC).  The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' records Kearney as being a 'Prisoner of War'. 

Following his demobilisation after the Great War, Kearney returned to work eventually ending up in East End branch. 


East End branch (Albertbridge Road, Belfast)

He also worked in Head Office. Kearney was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club on 27th March 1945 paying 5 shillings subscription.

Retirement came in 1953.

He died on 17th May 1970.

Hunter, William Mortimer


2nd Lieutenant William Mortimer Hunter
was born in 1891.

He was the son of John Hunter and Margaret E Hunter, of Barn Hill, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.  

In 1901 the family were living in house 11, Glebe, Castlewray, Co. Donegal.  By 1911, the family are still living at that address.  However, William is not present.  The records show the children of the family are aged 28, 26, 23, 20, 17, 15 and 15.  The 20 year old is a daughter called Mina.  William Mortimer Hunter would have been aged 20 in 1911.  Might he have been a twin?  He may not have been present in the house on the Census day. 
Hunter would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1907 / 1908 serving in Ballyshannon branch. 
He volunteered and enlisted into the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers with Service Number 12/29269. Later he was promoted to Lance Corporal and then 2nd Lieutenant.

Hunter was serving with 4th Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as a 2nd Lieutenant when he was killed in action on 29th June 1917 aged 26. 

The bank memorial picture above states he was serving with the Royal Irish Fusiliers when he was Killed in Action.  His Medal Card confirms his service with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
He is buried in the Bard Cottage Cemetery, leper West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.


Administration of the Estate of Hunter was granted at Londonderry to Margaret E Hunter, widow.  Hunter's effects were £46 2s 6d.



Braddell, Claude


Lieutenant Claude Braddell
was born in Belfast on 28th November 1886.  In 1901 he was living with his aunt, Isabella Braddell in house 1, Eglantine Gardens, Belfast.  He was of Church of Ireland faith.
On 27th April 1903, he joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Royal Avenue (1906), Carrickfergus (1906), Royal Avenue (1906), Head Office (1911) and Ball’s Branch (1911).  In 1911, Braddell is living in house 481, Lisburn Road, Windsor, Belfast.  He is described as a Bank Clerk and is residing with his Aunt and her family. 

On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, Braddell signed the Ulster Covenant at the Old Town Hall, Belfast giving his address as 24, Lower Mount Street, Dublin. 

On 24th February 1913, a Deed Poll was executed and enrolled changing his name from Claude Braddell Burbridge to Claude Braddell. 
Braddell volunteered on 15th May 1915 and enlisted into the 5th Bn. RIR aged 28.  He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and attached to the 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Rifles.  Subsequently he was attached to the 16th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles before seeing service with the British Expeditionary Force.  He was promoted to Lieutenant on 1st July 1917.  He was demobilised in January 1919 and was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal. 
Following demobilisation, Braddell rejoined the Northern Bank on 17th February 1919 at Ball’s Branch.  Transfers to Beragh – Manager (1920) and Head Office - Interim Manager (1924) followed.  The next year (1926), he was moved to Claudy as Manager. 
 
Tom Burnell has advised me via my facebook War Memorial site:

Limerick Chronicle, August 1917


Braddell and McClatchie - August 22, 1917, at St George’s Church, Belfast, by the Rev H D Murphy, DD, Claude Braddel, Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Rifles, to Eileen Mary, only daughter of J W McClatchie, Northern Bank House, Donedall Square, W., Belfast.


It is further reported on another website that a Charles Braddel donated the altar, the reredos and credence table at the Cumber Upper Church, Alla, two kilometres south of Claudy in memory of his wife Eileen, 1959.  An 18 year old, Eileen McClatchie is recorded in the 1911 Irish Census as living in Lurgan.
Braddell retired on 1st September 1941.

Hunter, Robert Torrens


Private Robert Torrens Hunter
was born in 1888. 

He was the son of Kennedy Hunter.  In 1901 the family lived in house 33, Townparks, Antrim, Co. Antrim. 
Hunter would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1905. 

By 1911 Hunter is boarding in house 22.1, Onomy, Urban West Street, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan.  He is described as a Bank Clerk. 
Hunter served as a Private with the 10th Royal Fusiliers. 

The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' booklet records Hunter as being 'previously injured' with his last kniown address as 'in France'.

He served in Central and Derry.

Henry, Thomas (Junior)


Lieutenant Thomas Henry (Junior)
was born in 1894.  He was the son of Thomas Senior and Louisa E. S. Henry of Coleraine. 
Henry would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1911 / 1912. 

He served with the 10th Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers and attained the rank of Lieutenant.  He also served in Moville and Central branch.
The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour 'booklet records Henry as being 'previously wounded' with his last known address as 're-entered the bank'.
Following his demobilisation after the Great War, Henry returned to work eventually ending up as Manager of Banbridge branch. 
Henry was a member of the Belfast Banking Company Sports Club in March 1948 paying 1 shillings subscription. 
Retirement came in 1957. 
He died on 12th March 1963.

Cooke, John Anthony


Captain John Anthony Cooke
was born in 1879. 

He was the son of Dora Jane Cooke. 
Cooke would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1895 / 1896. 

In 1901, a Dora Cooke was a visitor to house 101, Brighton Road, Rathmines, Dublin.  In the same year, John Anthony Cooke is living alone in house 49.3, Pollbwee, Navan, Co. Meath.  His occupation is that of Bank Accountant.  By 1911, Cooke was again living with his mother and family in house 6, The Allies, Fair Gate, Co. Louth.  He is described as a Bank Cashier from Dublin City. 
Cooke served with the 9th (North Irish Horse) Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers (1917 to 1919).  He was the Acting Adjutant attaining the rank of Captain. 

The National Archives records a Medal Index Card as follows:

Royal Irish Fusilers, 2nd Lieutenant
Royal Irish Fusiliers, Captain


The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' booklet records Cooke' last known address as 'being in hospital'.
He also worked in Armagh and Drogheda. 
Following his demobilisation after the Great War, Cooke returned to work eventually ending up in Head Office. 
Retirement came in 1929.  
Cooke died on 3rd October 1961.

Christie, Charles MacGillicuddy


Private Charles MacGillicuddy Christie
was born on 2nd February 1884 at The Rectory, Gortin, Co. Tyrone.  He was the 7th son of the Rev William James and Maud Christie.   

Schooling was at Campbell College between February 1900 and April 1902.  The 1901 Irish Census records him as a resident of house 2.4, Ballycloughan, Ballyhackamore, Belfast.  [This was to become the Knock Road, Belfast].
He then joined the Belfast Banking Company. 

However, the Campbell College book ‘The Campbellian’ (Volume IV, Page 73) records Christie as working for the Belfast Bank and later for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. 

By 1911, Christie was boarding in house 6, Newington Terrace, Rathmines & Rathgar East, Dublin.  He is described as a Bank Official. 

Christie was working in College Green, Dublin when he enlisted as a Private with Service Number 106604. 
He was serving with the 69th Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) when he was killed in action on 18th August 1917 aged 33 (died of his wounds).  He is buried in the Brandhoek New Military Cemetery Number 3, Belgium.   



Probate of the Will was granted at Dublin to George W Christie, Bank Official.  Christie's effects were £145 17s 1d.


Andrews, Arthur Alexander


Lieutenant Arthur Alexander Andrews
was born in 1895. 
He was the son of Alexander Andrews and Violet Andrews.  In 1901 and 1911 the family lived in house 1, Chapel Road, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone. 
Andrews probably joined the Belfast Banking Company between 1912 and the war years.  He saw service in Coleraine and Bangor branches. 

Andrews served as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 9th Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers and then with the 10th Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers where he attained the rank of Lieutenant.  He was reported in the Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' booklet as 'wounded in action'.

The National Archives records a Medal Index Card as follows:

Royal Irish Fusiliers, 2nd Lieutenant
Further information on Arthur Andrews, his brothers Jim and Fred can be read on this website prepared by Paul Kerr and the Royal School, Dungannon.

Magee, Frederick William Henry


Captain Frederick William Henry Magee
was born in Armagh in September 1882.  He was of Church of Ireland faith. 
Magee joined Northern Bank on 3rd February 1900 in Head Office.  At that time, his address was recorded as Strokestown.  Transfers followed with Londonderry (1900), Ballyclare (1900) and Mohill (1900).  In 1901 he was boarding in house 15, Hill Street, Mohill.  Transfers followed to Head Office (1903), Holywood (1905), Whitehead (1907), Head Office (1911) and Ball’s Branch (1911).  

Northern Banking Company Limited, Londonderry




By 1911, Magee was living in house 9, Promenade, Templecorran, Co. Antrim.  He is recorded as a Bank Official. 
Magee, aged 33, was based in Ball's branch when he volunteered for a Commission in the Royal Field Artillery.  He served with the British Expeditionary Force, was promoted to Lieutenant in January 1917 and then to Captain in August 1917.  Magee saw action in the Somme 1916 (Thiepval and La Boisselle), Messines 1917, Ypres 1917 (Passchendaele), Cambrai 1917, St. Quentin 1918, Amiens 1918, Bailleul 1918 and Courtrai 1918 (Allied Advance). 

Demobilisation came in June 1919 and he was awarded the MID (Mentioned in Despatches), the Belgian Croix de Guerre, the 1914/15 Star, the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal. 
Following demobilisation, Magee rejoined the Northern Bank in Ball’s Branch.  Transfers followed with Head Office (1922), Bangor (1927), Armagh (1933) and Dungannon (1941).  
He retired on 24th July 1945. 

Oak leaf MID on a British Victory Medal ribbon



Weir, William


Lieutenant William Weir
was born in Ballyhill, Dromore on 11th November 1887.  He was the son of Margaret Jane Weir.  In 1901, the family lived in house 31, Dromore Street, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.  He was of Presbyterian faith.
On 12th December 1904 he joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  Transfers followed to Grafton Street (1905), Hillsborough (1906), Dungloe (1909), Head Office (1910) and Lisburn (1910).  In 1911, Weir had moved to house 23, Burmah Street, Ormeau Ward, Belfast. 
On 12th February 1915, whilst based in Lisburn he volunteered and enlisted into the Honourable Artillery Coy (Infantry) as a Private.  He served in the British Expeditionary Force in 1916, was promoted to Lance Corporal, then Corporal, then Lance Sergeant, then Sergeant and then went to Cadet School.  He was later gazetted as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment before being posted to the 2nd Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.   Subsequently he was promoted to Lieutenant.  Weir saw service at Macedonia, Army of Occupation Chanak, Dardanelles and Bullecourt.  He received a slight gunshot wound to the left shoulder.  Demobilisation came in November 1919.  He was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal. 
Following demobilisation he rejoined Northern Bank on 1st December 1919 in Lisburn.  In December 1919 he married a Miss Johnston of Lisburn.  Transfers followed to Saintfield (1923), Antrim (1924), Limavady (1929), Donegall Square (1936), Royal Avenue (1941) and Donegall Square – Manager (1943). 


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (August 1981)’ contains a photograph of Weir in a 1913 Northern Bank Staff Golf outing.

Weir is remembered on a memorial in Railway Street Presbyterian Church, Lisburn.

Keeling, George Dennison


George Dennison Keeling
was born on 19th April 1897. 

He was the son of John William Keeling and Elizabeth Keeling.  In 1901 the family were living in house 71, South Parade, Ormeau, Belfast.  They were all recorded as being of Society of Friends faith.  By 1911, Keeling was residing in a boarding school at number 19.1, St. Laurence Street, St. Laurence Gate, Co. Louth.   There were 4 teachers and 20 pupils in the school on Census Day 1911. 
On 23rd October 1913, Keeling joined Northern Bank at Head Office.  He was of Church of Ireland faith.  Transfers to Shaftesbury Square (1914) and Head Office (1915) followed. 
On 1st January 1915 he volunteered and enlisted into the 6th Bn. Black Watch. 

The Belfast News Letter of 8th October 1915 reporting:



There is no explanation of the age reported as 48.

The London Gazette records a 2nd Lieutenant G D Keeling relinquishing his temporary commission as of 7th May 1916. 
He rejoined the Northern Bank on 3rd July 1916.
On 6th January 1917, Keeling volunteered again. 

The picture on the Roll of Honour indicates that Keeling may have been awarded the Military Medal.
He rejoined the Northern Bank on 3rd February 1919 at Head Office.  He was then transferred to Downpatrick (1919) and then back to Head Office (1919).  




Northern Banking Company Limited, Downpatrick

Keeling is remembered on the Roll of Honour in St Jude's Parish Church, Belfast.


[Photo courtesy of John McCormick]


Keeling resigned on 28th February 1920. 


Connolly (or Conolly), John Henry


2nd Lieutenant John Henry Connolly (or Conolly)

was born in 1897.

He was the eldest son of John Matthew Conolly and Ellen J Conolly of Cranagh Hill, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry.  

In 1901 the family are living in house 4, Castletoodry, Bannbrook, Co. Londonderry.  By 1911 the property is known as house 8, Castletoodry, Bannbrook, Co. Londonderry. 

He was known as Harry and was educated at Coleraine Acedemical Institution

In 1913, Conolly joined the Belfast Banking Company and served in Central branch.



Belfast Banking Company, Central branch 
(to left of small buildings)


Conolly was a member of Queens’ University, Belfast, Officer's Training Corps (OTC) in 1915.  Conolly volunteered and enlisted into the 6th Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers as a 2nd Lieutenant.  He was later attached to the 11th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles when he was killed in action (died of wounds – gas) on 1st September 1916. 

The Belfast News Letter of 5th September 1916 reports:


He is buried in the Bailleul Communal Cemetery extension (Nord).  Conolly is mentioned in ‘Coleraine Hero’s 1914 - 1918’ by Robert Thompson, Coleraine, published privately, 2004. 

2nd Lieutenant J H Connolly's name is recorded on the Queen's University Officer's Training Corps War Memorial.






The family surname is spelt Connolly on the Northern Bank War Memorial.

Revels, David Henry





Lieutenant David Henry Revels
was born at Tullyhappy, Jerrettspass on 22nd February 1888 to Joseph Revels, Farmer and Elizabeth Anne Revels.


David H Revels - Birth Registration


In 1901, David is living in house 18, Tullyhappy, Tullyhappy Ward, Co. Armagh with his parents and 5 siblings, Joseph, Agnes, Elizabeth, Samuel and Robert.  A nurse and 2 servants were also present in the house.

Revels joined Northern Bank at Head Office on 8th October 1906.



Northern Bank, Head Office, Victoria Street, Belfast


Transfers followed to Lisburn (1906), Carrick-on-Shannon (1907), Armagh (1908) and Ball’s Branch (1909).



Northern Bank, Lisburn branch (replaced in 1920s)



Northern Bank, Carrick-on-Shannon branch (see below)




Northern Bank, Armagh branch


By 1911, Revels is boarding in house 4, Lower Sackville Street, North Dock, Dublin. He is recorded as a Bank Clerk.

On ‘Ulster Day’, Saturday, 28th September 1912, 14 members of the Revels family from Tullyhappy or Jerrettspass area signed either the Ulster Covenant or the Women’s Declaration.

Revels resigned from the Bank on 1st November 1912 but re-entered on 31st March 1913 at Strokestown.




Application for Appointment to a Temporary Commission in the Regular Army for the period of the War – dated 27th October 1915

Revels expressed his preference in the above mentioned document as follows:   
  • Garrison, Field or Horse Artillery; Cavalry or any Department connected with horses; any Infantry Regiment – Irish if possible. 
  • “I wish, however, to be considered specially for artillery, and to have my name placed on the waiting list”.

Application for Admission to an Officer Cadet Unit – dated 25th July 1916


Revels expressed his preference in the above mentioned document as follows: 
  • Special Reserve [i.e. not Regular Army]; Artillery, Royal Field Artillery
When completing the application form, Revels described the occupation of his father as a 'Gentleman Farmer'.

On 24th January 1916 at the age of 27, Revels volunteered and enlisted into the Inns of Court (Officer Training Corps (OTC).   He was gazetted as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery before serving in the British Expeditionary Force.   He was promoted to Lieutenant Special Service with the Arabian Field Force commanding a Camel Battery. Service was seen in the Somme 1918, Arras, Monchy le Preux, Chemical Works, Yser, Ypres 1917 and Kemmel 1918. 

During the war, he was injured 3 times; a gunshot wound, gassed and seriously injured later. 
Demobilisation followed in July 1919.   He was awarded the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.


Royal Field Artillery, 2nd Lieutenant
Royal Field Artillery, Lieutenant

On 7th July 1919 he re-joined the Northern Bank at Strokestown. Transfers followed to Lanesborough (1921), Head Office (1924), Irvinestown (1925) and Donegall Square (1925), Head Office (1927), Down – Sub-Manager (1931) and Head Office – No. 4 Teller (1933).


Northern Banking Company, Donegall Square

Revels ceased to belong to the Regular Army Reserve of Officers in February 1938 having been a Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery with Service Number 114217. 

Northern Banking Company - Correspondents Advice

The following document was use to advise the banking community of D H Revels appointment as manager of Lanesborough branch.


Period 1938 to 1941
In addition to copies of the various application forms described in this section, the [current] Ministry of Defence released copies of various letters between Revels, the Bank and the War Office.   Excepts from them follow below.

Personal letter to the Under Secretary of State, The War Office dated 19th April 1938 (from D H R, NB, Head Office) referring to their letter of 14th April 1938 ‘... which I note with regret ...’. DHR appears to be offering his services to the army in Northern Ireland and although there is recruitment for a Fortress Unit and an Engineers Unit, DHR would like to see recruitment for a Horse & Field Unit of Artillery.   He seems to think that the ‘movement and training in different parts of the country ... would have a most stimulating effect on recruiting ...’

The War Office responded on 26th May 1938 acknowledging his offer of service and suggesting he would be interested in the Officers’ Emergency Reserve.

Letter from the Secretary, Northern Bank Ltd dated 23rd April 1940 to DHR advising that ‘... we have received your application to be relieved of duty here to enable you to join up for duty in HM Army Pay Department’.  ‘We have carefully considered your application and in doing so have taken into account your age, your length of service in the Bank and your active service during the last war.   We regret we must refuse your application, and reserve such permits, as we are able to grant, for much younger men’.
[DHR was aged 52 and 2 months and had circa 34 years of service.]

[DHR also considered that he had been given private assurances by an un-named Director that there would be no difficulty in leaving the bank for Active Service.]

Personal letter to the Under Secretary of State, The War Office dated 24th April 1940 (from D H R, NB, Head Office) referring to a letter dated 16th April 1940. DHR indicates ‘ .... that a difficulty has been raised by the Bank, at the last minute ....’.   He goes on to say that ‘ ... the objections are most unreasonable ....’.   DHR indicates that the Bank have an objection to him joining the Royal Army Pay Corps but no objection to him being called up for service in the Royal Artillery again.


Revels retired from the bank on 30th June 1941.


Application for Emergency Commission – dated 11th February 1941 – aged 53

Revels completed sections of the above mentioned document as follows:

Decorations held: General Service & Victory Medals (was recommended for MC)
Occupation: Bank official (was Branch Manager)
  • Education: Newry Intermediate School; Shaftesbury House, Belfast
  • Previous Service: Inns of Court OTC (Cavalry) 12/15 to 04/16; RHA St John’s Wood, Cadet 04/16 to 11/16; Commissioned RH & RFA (SR) & RARO 11/16 to 02/38
  • Preferred working with horses rather than duty with an infantry regiment.
  • “The usual Field ...... with a Battery of Horses .... Artillery on Active .... France ....”
  • Has an intimate knowledge of Belgium, France, Arabia, Ireland.
  • Qualifications: Usual instruction in M.G. (presume machine guns); School of Gunnery 1916; Course of Signalling; Veterinary Course (1917); Gas Course (passed 1st class)
  • Service Overseas: France 1916-18; Arabia
The application form was counter-signed by Major-General R K Hezlett.
Revels' referees were from the bank:
  • W F Scott, Northern Bank, Head Office – Chairman of Directors;
  • Capt F W White, Northern Bank, Head Office – Director.

  
Army Cadet Force – Northern Ireland

Signed 26th April 1945 (late Lieutenant Paymaster RA)  
  • Certificate states ‘if he is granted a commission, he will serve with the Cadet Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Later he changed his name by Deed Poll from Revels to Revel. 

In 1943, he was made Paymaster with the Royal Army Pay Corps (RAPC). 
Following demobilisation in either 1945 or 1946, Revels purchased an auctioneering business in Newry, 4 miles from his native Jerrettspass. 
In the late 1940’s / early 1950’s, he emigrated to Canada with his family.  In September 1940, a David Henry Revels is recorded as holding a patent for a ‘cigarette holder’. 
Revels married a Miss E E Spokes BA of Riverview, Banbridge in September 1931. 


Please also see this update:

http://northernbankwarmemorials.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/revels-david-henry-update.html


Northern Bank, Carrick-on-Shannon branch

The website Buildings of Ireland records the following:

Description

Detached four-bay two-storey over basement Victorian bank, built c.1880.  Hipped tiled roof with red brick and stone-dressed chimneystacks.  Red brick front and side elevations with sandstone string courses and dressings, and recessed brick panels with torus- moulded surrounds and quoins.  Rendered rear elevation with two-storey over basement return.  Cambered-arched openings with ovolo-moulded brick surrounds, timber sash windows and sandstone label mouldings to facade.  Sandstone balconet to first floor of fa├žade supported by brackets.  Round-headed window to side elevation.  Carved stone doorcase with overlight and sandstone overdoor.  Accessed from pavement via concrete bridge over area. Rendered and stone wall to street with wrought-iron railings.

Appraisal

This attractive Victorian bank building of red brick is unusual in Carrick-on-Shannon as the majority of buildings are rendered.  The elaborate carved stone dressings and contrasting brick emphasise the artistic quality.  The decorative brackets to the chimneystacks are an interesting feature.  Over time this building has retained its original function as well as retaining its original fabric.