Search This Blog

Friday 21 October 2022

Stewart, Isaac Irwin


Sergeant Isaac Irwin Stewart
was born at Ballyness, Limavady on 4th February 1890 the son of George Stewart, Farmer and Margaret A Stewart nee Morrison. 

In 1901 Isaac () was living in house 42, Ballyness, Gelvin, Co. Londonderry with his grandfather, George Stewart, his parents and 7 siblings; William (), George (), Lillian (), Hugh (), Margaret (), Robert () and Kathleen (). There were 3 servants also in the property; Daniel McCloskey, Kames McCloskey and Saria Heeney.

On 8th April 1908, Isaac joined Northern Bank at Head Office. 


Northern Bank, Head Office, Victoria Street, Belfast

Transfers followed to Bray (1908), Head Office (1909) and Coleraine (1910). 


Northern Bank, Coleraine branch (courtesy of Irene Peden)

In 1911, Irwin was boarding with the Bell family in house 29, Railway Road, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry. He is now using the first name of Irwin and his occupation is that of a Bank Official.

Further transfers followed to Head Office (1914), Royal Avenue (1914) and Beragh (1914).


Northern Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast branch

During his time in Royal Avenue, Irwin wrote to the bank on 1st December 1913 and gave 3 months notice of resignation. He withdrew his resignation on 20th February 1914.


Northern Bank, Beragh branch

Whilst based in Beragh, Irwin volunteered on 14th September 1914 and enlisted into the 14th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles as a Private for the duration of the war. His Service Number was 14/15980. The bank Staff Record card records him as volunteering into the 'Young Citizen Volunteers (11th Bn. RIR)'.


Isaac I Stewart - Medal Index Card - 1 - Service Number 14/15980 Royal Irish Rifles

Irwin's first theatre of war is recorded as France from 5th October 1915.

Scans of his Army Service Record is held by the author (via Ancestry & Fold3 archives). It amounts to 26 pages of which some pages were badly burnt whilst in storage in London during the Blitz. A few of the pages are displayed below.


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- Bank Official aged 24 years and 1 month


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- Protection Certificate & Certificate of Identity


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- personal letter returning a completed form to the army


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- page 1 of a personal letter re his disablement


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- page 2 of a personal letter re his disablement


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- Army Conduct Sheet - 29th July 1917 - 
charged with 'reporting himself [unclear]' 
and 'admonished, explained'


I I Stewart - Army Service Record - extract
- location report whilst serving

Irwin served at 'home' from 12th September 1914 to 2nd October 1915. He then served in the British Expeditionary Force from 3rd October 1915 to 6th July 1916 before returning to 'home' from 7th July 1916.

During his service, he was promoted through the ranks to Sergeant. He was injured once; a gunshot wound to the right hand and right leg. 

Demobilisation came in February 1919 and was awarded the 1914/15 Star, the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal.


I I Stewart - Medal Roll

Due to his injuries, he applied and was granted a pension.


I I Stewart - Pension Card (f)


I I Stewart - Pension Card (b)


I I Stewart - Pension Card Index

Following demobilisation, Stewart re-joined the Northern Bank on 10th February 1919 at Head Office. Transfers followed to Shaftesbury Square (1921), Ballybay (1926), Donegall Square (1928), Fintona (1936) and Newry – manager (1941).


Northern Bank, Shaftesbury Square branch

Northern Bank, Newry branch

He married Miss L Hamilton in September 1927.

Isaac Irwin Stewart retired on pension on 31st December 1953. He died on 3rd October 1968 whilst living in Castlerock, Co. Londonderry.


I I Stewart - Probate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add any verifiable information to assist me in building on the biographical information already detailed. Thank you.