Search This Blog

Thursday 21 July 2022

Nelson, Gerald Eric Pat Hartfell

Ordinary Seaman Gerald Eric Hartfell Nelson (known as Pat)
was born at 112 Malone Avenue on 24th February 1919 to Eric Hartfell Nelson and Eva Nelson nee Bingham. He was registered with the first names of 'Gerald Hartfell'. 

In 1901 Eric Nelson (father) lived in house 10, Marlborough Park, Belfast with his aunt, Lydia Nelson (of private means) and his brother Charles Horace Nelson. A servant Kate Taylor also lived in the house.

Eric Nelson (father) appears to be mentioned in the Belfast Gazette of 30th September 1927 in an item regarding the "Estate of William Herbert Nelson and Eric Hartfell Nelson, Trustees of the Will of Horatio Nelson Deceased."

The Campbell College Register of Lennon Wylie records Nelson, Gerald Eric Pat (D), b. 24th February, 1919, son of E. H. Nelson, Old Comber Road, Dundonald, Belfast. V, July, 1936. Northern Bank Official. 1939-45 War: R.N. Address: Ardmore, Saintfield Road, Belfast. (M.)

Acknowledgements to lennonwylie.

On 1st April 1937 Pat joined Northern Bank at Head Office. Transfers follow to Newtownstewart (1938 - Relief), Head Office (1938 - Secretary's Room - 1938), Coleraine (1942 - Junior) and Head Office.


Northern Bank, Head Office, Victoria Street


Northern Bank, Newtownstewart branch


Northern Bank, Coleraine branch (now Halifax)

On 6th March 1941, Pat was ‘Called up on Active Service’ on 16th February 1943 into the Royal Navy as a Rating. However, on 21st June 1943 he was discharged from the Royal Navy owing to ill-health.

'The Campbell College War Record 1939 - 1945' records Pat as serving in the Royal Navy as an Ordinary Seaman.

On 11th September 1944 he resumed duty with the Northern Bank at Head Office. Transfers followed to Connswater (1944 - Junior), Windsor (1946 - Accountant), Head Office (1951), Banbridge (1952 - Cashier), Claudy (1953 - Cashier), Head Office (1956), Portaferry (1956 - Cashier), Willowfield (1959 - Cashier), Crumlin Road (1963 - Pro-Manager) and Windsor (1967 - Manager).


Northern Bank, Banbridge branch - [1906 by William Ferguson]


Northern Bank, Claudy branch


Northern Bank, Willowfield branch


Northern Bank, Crumlin Road branch


Northern Bank, Windsor branch (in distance)

Pat Nelson retired on 31st March 1982 from Windsor branch.

The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (Summer 1982)’ contains an article and photograph of Nelson.


G E P H Nelson was recorded on the 2002 Voters Roll at 82A, Cunninghams Lane, Dungannon, County Tyrone, BT71 6BX with Mary Nelson.

In 2016, retired Area Manager, David Keith wrote:

"Pat Nelson was the cashier in Claudy where I joined the bank in June 1854. He was married to Mary Elliott a lovely lady who was the daughter of the owner of the Imperial Hotel, Banbridge where I subsequently lived before my marriage. Pat was a real gentleman and we used to meet up from time to time.  One amusing anecdote I can recall. One day in Claudy I found the bank's revolver - a Webley .45 which was covered in rust. I persuaded the manager to let me have a go at cleaning it up and I soon had it in good condition. The local RUC insisted I demonstrate my ability with the weapon before giving me a handful of ammunition - the IRA was still active in those days. Anyway I had the loaded pistol in my desk ready for use. Pat suddenly realised that he was in the direct line of fire between me and the door into the office. After argument with the manager he took the gun off me and put it out of my reach. Pat retired to Dungannon with his wife but sadly died a couple of years ago. I great friend and colleague."

In 2016, Pat's daughter wrote:

"I am Pat's daughter, Gayda Shiells, and have only just uncovered this site. It was so delightful reading this material about my late father, some of which I had never known about."

2 comments:

  1. Pat Nelson was the cashier in Claudy where I joined the bank in June 1854. He was married to Mary Elliott a lovely lady who was the daughter of the owner of the Imperial Hotel, Banbridge where I subsequently lived before my marriage. Pat was a real gentleman and we used to meet up from time to time. One amusing anecdote I can recall. One day in Claudy I found the bank's revolver - a Webley .45 which was covered in rust. I persuaded the manager to let me have a go at cleaning it up and I soon had it in good condition. The local RUC insisted I demonstrate my ability with the weapon before giving me a handful of ammunition - the IRA was still active in those days. Anyway I had the loaded pistol in my desk ready for use. Pat suddenly realised that he was in the direct line of fire between me and the door into the office. After argument with the manager he took the gun off me and put it out of my reach. Pat retired to Dungannon with his wife but sadly died a couple of years ago. I great friend and colleague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Pat's daughter, Gayda Shiells, and have only just uncovered this site. It was so delightful reading this material about my late father, some of which I had never known about.

    ReplyDelete

Please add any verifiable information to assist me in building on the biographical information already detailed. Thank you.