Cadet Hugh James Tait
was born in 1899.
He was the son of James Tait. In 1901, James Tait and Hugh James Tait were living in house 40, Knock Road, Pottinger Ward, Co. Down.
In 1902 the house has been named by the owners as Belgrave Villa, Knock. By 1911 the property is known as house 35, Knock Road, Pottinger Ward, Co. Down.
On 28th September 1912, Tait signed the Ulster Covenant at the Old Town Hall, Belfast giving his address as Belgrave Villa, Knock, Belfast.
Tait would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1916 and worked in Head Office.
Tait served with the 17th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles and attained the rank of Cadet.
The Belfast Banking Company 'Roll of Honour' booklet records Tait as having been 'previously wounded' with his last known address 'Ballykinlar'.
The National Archives records a Medal Index Card as follows:
Royal Irish Rifles, 8/13905, Private
It is probable that the family home is now numbered as 64 Knock Road, Belfast and is described in the ‘Environmental Statement of the A55 Knock Road Widening Scheme’ published by the DRD in 2009: