He was the son of William Henry Lynas and Eva Lynas. In 1901 the family lived in house 216, Ravenhill Road, Ormeau Ward, Belfast. By 1911 the family had moved to house 3, Sandhurst Road, Cromac Ward, Belfast.
On 28th September 1912, (Wm T) Lynas' parents signed the Ulster Covenant and Women's Declaration at City Hall, Belfast and All Saints School, Cromac, Belfast giving their address as 6 Sandhurst Road, Belfast. Two sisters Beatrice and Franzi) also signed the Women's Declaration.
Lynas would have joined the Belfast Banking Company around 1911.
Lynas served as an Officer Cadet with the Officer Training Corps (OTC).
Lynas was in Londonderry branch when he left the Bank in 1940. He also served in Armagh. On 1st March 1941 his address was 44 Rosemount Gardens, Belfast.
The Staff Magazine ‘The Link (Winter 1984)’ contains a photograph of Lynas in Londonderry branch in the 1930’s.